Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 18th, 2010 18:00

Alienware 21.5 inch optx screen 1920x1080 doesnt stretch to fit screen?

Ok i feel a bit stupid never had any problem like this i couldnt fix before but for some reason my desktop doesnt fill the screen...i have like 1 inch black left. This screen (alienware optx 21.5 inch) is supposed to be optimised for that resolution isnt it? What am i missing here?

2.4K Posts

June 19th, 2010 11:00

Well of course i could do that...but that's not really the point. Thid monitor is supposed to be optimised for 1920x1080. I paid 300$ for this nice hd screen and i would hate to not use it to it's full potential. If the 1920x1080 resolution is one of the sell points im pretty sure it should be able to be full screen.

It is the point. Turn the resolution up. It got set to low. Has nothing to do with what you bought or anything. The monitor is a HD monitor and supports 1920 x 1080. You are crying over a setting. Turn it back to the default native screen resolution which is 1920 x 1080 and enjoy your system.

Could also be the setting for desktop background. Change that to fill or stretch or anything you want to make it fit.

If the resolution is set to the right setting then its the background that is not the correct size. It's one and/or the other.

Well of course i could do that...but that's not really the point. Thid monitor is supposed to be optimised for 1920x1080. I paid 300$ for this nice hd screen and i would hate to not use it to it's full potential. If the 1920x1080 resolution is one of the sell points im pretty sure it should be able to be full screen.

2.4K Posts

Set your screen resolution to 1920 x 1080? Could be set to a lower one. Right click desktop and click resolution and put the slider all the way up. Or you can go into your Video card control panel and set resolution there.

I would like to know what you mean by the background could not be at the correct size. Are you talking about the wallpaper or the desktop ? I'm sorry but French is my first language and i sometimes get things mixed up in english. It is the whole desktop that does not fit screen.

It is at the default native screen resolution of 1920 x 1080 and i am enjoying my system. I am not crying over anything , i was trying to figure out why at the

''default native screen resolution'' i couldn't get fullscreen. Can i get  it or not? That is the purpose of this question. Nothing else. A yes or no answer would be appreciated.

June 19th, 2010 12:00

The resolution is set to recommended top setting 1920 x 1080. The taskbar is smaller than the screen size. What i have for graphics card is dual ati radeon hd 5870. I tried going into the catalyst control center but did not find anything to adjust other than resolution. I also tryed to reset the screen but that doesn't help. I did everything i could cheked everything...i really can't figure this one out.

2.4K Posts

OH and another thing you can do is go into the monitor settings with the button on the front and reset it to factory defaults. Would rule out some kind of funky monitor setting doing it.

If all of that stuff fails uninstall your video driver. Restart the PC and let windows install them. See if that changes anything and then download the latest drivers and install them.

WHat does it say for your default resolution? Does it show resolution as 1920 x 1080 or does it just say default? Are there settings higher then the default and have you tried moving it up?

2.4K Posts

Yes. Again go into the screen resolution setting and confirm it is set to recommended. Should be the top setting. If its not on that then you need to set it to that.

Next is to right click desktop and then Personalize and Desktop background. Set it to stretch. 

You should now see your background in fullscreen with no black bars.

IF you are seeing the entire screen (with the taskbar) smaller then the screens size and with black bars around it then you have the video resolution set to low. IF the task bar fills the screen ( goes from one edge to the other ) then the background is not the correct size.

IF both of these setting are set like I said and you still see the entire desktop with taskbar smaller then the monitor then you need to go into your video card control panel and check the desktop settings and monitor settings.

For Nvidia Cards you would go to the Adjust Desktop Size and Position and then make sure the Use My Displays Built In Scalling is checked. If not check it.

4 Posts

June 20th, 2010 10:00

• Try going to ATI catalyst
  • click on graphics menu item
  • click desktops and displays
  • right click the little monitor on bottom
  • select configure
  • select scaling options from menu tabs
  • make sure slider is set for 0% overscan
  • select apply, then exit

Hopefully that is the problem you are having.

June 21st, 2010 21:00

Yes! Yes it is! Thank you! It was so simple. Although i could not have found it by myself. I went through all the settings , looked at everything i knew about and found nothing.But then i have never had that problem before. I wouldn't of thought of right cliking the little monitor. This was annoying me out of my mind. Thank you very much for your help it is much appreciated.

4 Posts

June 21st, 2010 22:00

Glad to have helped! I had the same problem and even deleted and reinstalled catalyst before figuring out.  Half these computer problems are just trying to find where the location of the settings are.

Hope all goes well for you.

Thanks,

Ed

4 Posts

June 21st, 2010 22:00

Sorry for the double post, seems clicking a second time while it is still loading in the post causes it. Or you can blame it on my stuttering finger!   

Ed

No Events found!