Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 29th, 2016 03:00

Alienware AW17R3-4175SLV graphics uppgrade

is it possible to upgrade my current graphics card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M with 3GB GDDR5 to something better and is it easy to do so?

because i have downloaded forza horizon 3 and i cant run it, keeps crashing while loading.

would i be able to upgrade to NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M with 4GB GDDR5 ? 

901 Posts

September 29th, 2016 08:00

Hello.

Short answer is no, not without replacing the entire motherboard.

Unfortunately Alienware decided in their wisdom to remove the ability to upgrade your graphics card and/or CPU individually.

Everything is now soldered to the motherboard which essentially means if one component becomes faulty the complete motherboard has to be replaced.

To upgrade to a GTX980M you will have to purchase a different motherboard.

276 Posts

September 29th, 2016 14:00

Why would you do that? Ignoring the feasibility of upgrading the video card (it isn't), why would Forza not run with the 970m, but run ok with the 980m?

I think your problems are not anything to do with the video card.

276 Posts

September 30th, 2016 04:00

Actually, I'll update my previous answer with this quote (via Techdirt):

According to a post on the official Forza Motorsport subreddit, a user by the name of dkhavilo discovered that his CPU performance was being heavily consumed by something called EFS while playing the VIP Access version of Forza Horizon 3. EFS, otherwise known as Encrypting File System, manually forces Forza Horizon 3 to constantly de-crypt relevant files during normal gameplay – a mammoth task for a driving game based around exploring an open world environment at breakneck speeds. The game is simply too big and too complicated for the DRM software to keep up, even on platforms featuring a Solid State Drive compared to the traditional Hard Drive storage systems, and as a result Forza Horizon 3 runs like *** for all but the most ridiculously powerful home computers.

Might this be a factor?

No Events found!