Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 6th, 2011 09:00

Alienware Area-51 ALX Thermal Control Question (CPU Temp.)

Hey!

So, I got my Alienware a few weeks ago, and I'm currently overclocking.

I just wondered, is there any possibility to have the CPU-fans speed adjusted depending on the CPU's core temperatures.

I feel the current sensors (which are environmental) are worthless; which they are.

Any help appriciated!

//Niklas

11 Posts

August 7th, 2011 07:00

I have no idea how what you wrote was supposed to help me, or if it's even related. I HAVE full control over my fans, and how do you know I am not "smart" enought to not damage it? And how do you damage something by increasing the fan speed? Your post makes no sense at all. It's actually quite idiotic.

I'll state my question once again to avoid more ignorant and stupid answers which yields no answer or help at all:

Can you use the CPU Core sensors to adjust the temperature instead of the environmental sensors in Automatic Mode?

I don't want my computer to sound like an airplane/I don't want to wear down my fans, when I don't need them on 80-.100% in idle.

I mean, the fans being controlled are the fan that cools my Watercooling to my CPU aswell as my harddrives.

Since it sets the fan speed dependant on the SURROUNDING heat, it yields NO gain WHATSOEVER, it's the heat allocated on the CPU's cores and ON the harddrive, not around it in the vicinity.

757 Posts

August 7th, 2011 07:00

Your question has been asked many times in different threads over many years.

The answer from Dell appears, as recently posted here, that the purchaser isn't smart enough to ensure they wont damage their own system by giving them control of their system fan.

757 Posts

August 7th, 2011 08:00

Let me explain it to you a little better.

I and numerous others have asked your very same question. Your CPU fan is your system fan and you are not allowed to have control of it. This isn't my doing but is Dell's doing and the explanation given on this board by a Dell contributor is that we can't be trusted to manually adjust the system fan or control it in any way.

I'm not making you out to be an idiot, Dell is by their refusal to allow you to have control of your system fan. You can adjust everything else (PCI and HHD fan) by using the curve option, but you will never be allowed to control your system (radiator-CPU) fan. We simply can't be trusted, we aren't smart enough.

If you search this topic you will find numerous threads in this forum addressing your issues.

What you have is what you get, no changes allowed by Dell.

2.4K Posts

August 7th, 2011 15:00

The old CCD version running on aurora would let you adjust it. If you have an aurora and the CD with version one you can try flashing back. It's a risk though..the MIO board may get bricked ( i'v flashed backwards and never had an issue ) but Dell says it can happen.

Another option is connecting the system fan to one of the pins on the mobo and then using something like speed fan to control it. The pump has a Dell connector on it. They make an adapter for the one used on the area 51 but not the aurora. The Area 51 uses a 5-pin and i'v seen the adapter but never tried it. I'm going to assume that the pump will still run at 100% even without the fan connected. If so then you don't need to mess with it. just change the fan to another connector.

I think the aurora uses a 6-pin for the pump and i'v never seen an adapter for that one.

I myself never had temp issues with it. I can run my computer all out and maybe see 70c,maybe. Thats with prime95 running for an hour. The CCD does a good job..for me anyway.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 7th, 2011 16:00

You could add a fan to the radiator, and control it with a simple fan controller.

11 Posts

August 7th, 2011 16:00

Thanks for the help, morblore. I'll investigate your claims further this week, and see if I can do something about it.

My current temp. (and I'm only browsing) is 57-64c, and I'm currently not overclocking my 990X, even.

It's a pain to have laid so much money on a CPU which was created in the first place to be OC'd; and then having problems with a computer that's costed you well over 6000 dollars, because it limits your heat control.

2.4K Posts

August 7th, 2011 19:00

Thanks for the help, morblore. I'll investigate your claims further this week, and see if I can do something about it.

My current temp. (and I'm only browsing) is 57-64c, and I'm currently not overclocking my 990X, even.

It's a pain to have laid so much money on a CPU which was created in the first place to be OC'd; and then having problems with a computer that's costed you well over 6000 dollars, because it limits your heat control.

Right now I have a 4ghz OC on it and my temps typing this is 32c to 36c for all 6 cores. My OC is also all 6 cores and not this 1 core stuff like they do on cheaper CPU's. That should give you an idea of what your temps should be.  Something in your system is broke or you have the AC off with 90+ room temps.

I promise you something isn't right. Open the case and double check the fans. Make sure they are spinning and not blocked by something.

The temps you are getting is what I get when I back slap my system like a red headed step child in walmart. I have to push it HARD to reach that.

16 Posts

August 9th, 2011 22:00

Well...that's not entirely accurate. If you unplug your system fan and plug it into your VGA cage fan, yes you can control it. However, why would anyone want to speed up this fan when it makes such an annoying noise? I have the liquid cooling, and I wanted to test if this fan can be controlled in anyway, so I switched it to the VGA plug, and it works, you can speed up the fan and use your curves if you want to, or manually move the slider to the speed you want, the only problem is that the thermal controller board wont be able to adjust this fan should you need more cooling to your radiator/CPU since there would be no fan attached to the system fan output, thus risking an overheating. Now, these pc's run HOT HOT HOT, if you touch the radiator you'll notice these temperatures are always hot at normal clocks, somewhere around 45 - 55. Once you raise that multiplier it starts to also raise the temperature in the radiator, thus triggering a fan spool. Again, YES YOU CAN control all three fans (cpu, hard drives and VGA fans), but you must switch the cpu fan to your vga port in order to have control over it...simple as that. I did the test and didn't like it, since if I run processor intensive apps my thermal board can't spool up the fan, I have to do it manually and if you forget to do so, you're in trouble...! Hope this helps someone. You CANNOT control the pump, at least I haven't even tried, but seems you can't, unless you give the pump power directly and it will always run at full speed causing more wear. These pumps are good if you let the controller board do its thing.

Alienware Area-51 ALX w/i7 990

No Events found!