Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 12th, 2010 03:00

Alienware Aurora BSOD/Slowdown

A few months ago my computer got a power surge and it ran the usual ckhdisk and it ended up deleting quite a bit of stuff. I re-installed some drivers and everything seemed to be fine but slowly over time I could notice slowdown in places where it shouldn't be. Fast forward to lately and at times the lag is even worse and I am getting BSOD. Event shower shows it as:

2010-12-09, 06:16:48.0092847 : Error : Unhandled exception detected while executing virtual device command response.: CDV(READ_ITEM_DEFAULT, 370, MEMORY_FREQUENCY_MONITOR) : Inputs=[ (HOST_CLOCK_FREQUENCY,133) (MEMORY_MULTIPLIER,) ] := Error calculating derived value! Calling StackTrace: at Intel.PerfTune.VirtualDevices.VirtualClockDevice._CalculateDerivedValue(IVirtualDeviceCommandProcessing vdcmdproc, ItemId derivedItem, IDictionary`2 inputList) at Intel.PerfTune.VirtualDevices.VirtualClockDevice._DerivedMonitorFinalizeResult(CommandTrackingKey CompletedItemIdAndEventId, IComparable& FinalizedReturnValue) at Intel.PerfTune.VirtualDevices.DefaultDerivedMonitorDeviceImplementation._FinalizeDerivedRead(IVirtualDeviceCommandMessage vdcmdmsg, ErrorTypes status, CommandTrackingKey completedItemIdAndEventId, List`1 errors) at Intel.PerfTune.VirtualDevices.DefaultDerivedMonitorDeviceImplementation._LoadValueToTrackingDictionary(IVirtualDeviceCommandMessage sender, EventId currentEvent, ItemId currentItemId, ErrorTypes status, Object valueReturned, List`1 ErrorInfo) at Intel.PerfTune.VirtualDevices.DefaultVirtualDeviceImpl._ProcessReadItemDefault(IVirtualDeviceCommandProcessing cmdMsg) at Intel.PerfTune.VirtualDevices.DefaultVirtualDeviceImpl._ProcessCommandRequest(IVirtualDeviceCommandProcessing cmdMsg) at Intel.PerfTune.VirtualDevices.VirtualDeviceCommandProcessor._VdMessageProcessor() at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

In event viewer it shows that XTUservice is the cause of this problem. When the BSOD occurs it says: Driver_IRQL_Not_less_or_equal.

I assume the BSOD problem is drivier related, but I have tried everything to fix the slowdown issue without any success.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 12th, 2010 12:00

Try un-installing the Intel XTU OC Utility.

Oh, and get yourself a good Battery Backup (APC ... around 1200-1500 watt).

8 Posts

December 12th, 2010 19:00

I tried to un-install it yesterday after a BSOD and it started to do it then the computer just auto restarted. Then when it loaded up a program called perftuneservicestresstest.exe was running and looked to be stress testing my ram because it almost went up to 2GB of ram being used. I don't know if these two program are related, but after letting it run it auto restarted again did the same thing with the ram then restarted again and then it started to run normally.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 13th, 2010 00:00

There is a program called PerfTuneService.exe that is part of Intel XTU program. Not sure why it wanted to run, but hopefully you got the whole Intel XTU program uninstalled.

After re-reading your original post ... and how your system got damaged... I recommend you backup your data files, check your hard-drive to make sure no physical damage was done, and either Full Restore your system, or clean install your OS and drivers. There is no telling what system corruption you have.

8 Posts

December 13th, 2010 22:00

I have yet to try to un-install it again, but will try asap. I already did a backup of all my data and I have checked all my hardware and it all came back clean. i have been considering just a clean install but have one question of it. I run 2 hdds in raid 0 array and is there anything special I need to do when I reformat? Or just do it like a normal one.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 13th, 2010 23:00

I don't offer offer advice on RAIDs in desktops (other than to remove it) ... maybe someone else can answer that question for you.

So, you are running a RAID-0 and your HDDs got corrupt when you had a power outage ... well, now things are starting to make sense.

Please, go get yourself a good battery backup. You are making me nervous just thinking about it I wouldn't even bother trying to replace the software until you get one.

8 Posts

December 14th, 2010 23:00

Aye I am getting one asap. Gonna bump this also, still in need of info on if there is anything special I need to do for this reformat.

2 Posts

December 15th, 2010 00:00

I am not familiar with your specific system, but under normal circumstances, you need to do nothing other than wipe the partitions and reload the OS. The RAID adapter creates the array from however many disks you have within it, but the system sees the array as a single drive for you to create your partitions and install your software. With your situation, however, you may want to re-create your array or at least run diagnostics on it (if available). You should be able to enter the adapter setup utility by hitting one of your function keys during POST (there is usually a pause during post as the adapter checks the drives - watch for a line to tell you what key). The setup utilities are usually simple and direct. Look for diagnostics or simply delete your existing array and create a new one. One thing to note is that in the past you had to hit F6 during the OS install so you could load the drivers for your RAID adapter. I believe Microsoft has included a number of the more common drivers in the Windows 7 installation package, so you may not have to bother with this. I suggest, however, that you visit the driver download site and check for the drivers so you have them on disc prior to wiping your system in case they are needed during the OS installation. 

No Events found!