Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 23rd, 2012 20:00

Alienware Aurora Command Center

I've had my Aurora for about two years now, when I first got it, it was great but now I've had so many problems with the components. First the headphone jack stopped working unexpectedly, then the Sound Blaster card shorted out, followed by one of my two NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240's fan started to grind making it seem like my computer doubled as a wood-chipper, the card eventually overheated and shorted out. Then the other card's fan started to grind! I've been able to keep it working by purchasing a fan that occupies one of the pci slots. But my biggest problem is that back in November of 2011 my computer got hit by a virus (not Alienware's fault) and I had to reinstall Windows 7 64bit Home Premium.

I want to overclock my cpu but don't feel comfortable doing so unless I can manage the computer's fans and thermal temperatures. The problem is that Command Center no longer works and upon system start up or attempting to start Thermal Controller I get this message:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Domain.Classes.CommunicationServiceClass.get_IsChassisSupportingVenting()
   at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Domain.Profiles.Classes.ProfileProcessorClass.ExecuteVenting(Profile profile)
   at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Domain.Profiles.Classes.ProfileRepositoryClass.VentingExecute()
   at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Controller.Classes.ProfileManagerClass.Init()
   at AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Controller.Main.processWindowsLoaded()
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at MS.Internal.FrameworkObject.OnLoaded(RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastEvent(DependencyObject root, RoutedEvent routedEvent)
   at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastLoadedEvent(Object root)
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireLoadedPendingCallbacks()
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireInvokeOnRenderCallbacks()
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandlerCore(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandler(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

I've been trying to resolve this issue for months now and can't seem to do it. If anyone can help me resolve the issue I've taken PC Technician classes at college and should be able to perform any necessary procedures.

I'm very upset with Alienware with all the failing components and the failure to run Command Center or Thermal Controller. I thought I'd be a loyal Alienware customer but after all this I'm not sure whether I'd ever purchase a Alienware or even a Dell product again.

Here is a list of computer specs to help any diagnoses

Component Details Subscore Base score
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz 7.4
Determined by lowest subscore
Memory (RAM) 18.0 GB 7.6
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240 6.9
Gaming graphics 4095 MB Total available graphics memory 6.9
Primary hard disk 12GB Free (257GB Total) 5.9
Windows 7 Home Premium

System
Manufacturer Alienware
Model Aurora
Total amount of system memory 18.0 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4
Storage
Total size of hard disk(s) 466 GB
Disk partition (C:) 12 GB Free (257 GB Total)
Media drive (D:) CD/DVD
Media drive (F:) CD/DVD
Disk partition (G:) 141 GB Free (200 GB Total)
Disk partition (H:) 4 GB Free (9 GB Total)
Graphics
Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240
Total available graphics memory 4095 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 3071 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.15.11.8627
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080
Secondary monitor resolution 1360x768
DirectX version DirectX 10
Network
Network Adapter Killer Xeno NDIS EDGE Interface
Network Adapter Hamachi Network Interface

I am also running a dual boot system, and my bios is A11.

757 Posts

March 7th, 2012 14:00

This is the part you will need if the metal connectors are broken. You will only be sent the board with the metal contacts and not the plastic mount.

It took me over a year to get my replacement. The newer Aroura models have a redesigned plastic mount that prevents the metal connectores from getting damaged. You may want to ask the tech if he can send you one of the newer mounts.

Edit.... I tried downloading the picture but there seems to be a problem. Might try again latter.

9 Posts

March 7th, 2012 16:00

Well, I've gotten 2 of the 3 colors to work, red and green. I'm pretty content with just a solid red, but if I have to someday I'll order a replacement connector.

9 Posts

November 4th, 2015 06:00

you have the same motherboard number as me but mine has louver fins on the case and the same mio-board mine is 1.1 as well and I am getting no lights they did work but I have a bad file so I reset my computer and now no lights

No Events found!