Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 21st, 2015 13:00

Alienware Aurora Graphical Card/RAM issue

Hello,

I had no issue with my Alienware Aurora during 1 year and half but since 16/08/2015, the computer randomly freezes when I play a videogame and nothing is responding anymore. After a freeze, it is impossible to reboot after 5-7 min, the computer beeps 6-time by 6-time. This issue is not relate to the heat as I also experienced a freeze after 5 min since the start-up of the computer. However, I can also hard-play during 3-4 hours without any issues.  The BIOS scan never unveils anything and it occurs with the up-to-date nVidia drivers.

To check if it doesn’t come from the RAM cheapset, I unplug 2 cheaps out of the 4 and use the computer like before. I didn’t notice any crashes after 2 hours so I tried to switch the memory cheapsets and now I can’t boot anymore. If I plug the memory on slot closer to the big fan, the aurora 2-beeps meaning there is no memory at all. If I plug them on the other slot, the aurora starts and nothing happens: no BIOS, no screen, no power on the keyboard, but no beeps neither. Just the fans are working and the internal lights. I could switch back and forth the 2 sets of cheapsets but impossible to boot back again the computer…. What is going on?

I recognize that the cheapsets were strongly attached to the mother card the first time I removed them and when I put them myself I can remove them so easily by comparison but even if I press a bit hard on it and doesn’t change the plug-in. is it an issue with the plug of the RAM?

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 21st, 2015 16:00

Hello, 

Try removing all of the ram sticks first, then do a power drain (remove all external devices including the power cord and hold the power button for 1 minute). After doing this, test the ram modules by turning on the system with one ram stick at a time to confirm if it boots. It could be a ram failure but it could also be failure in one of the ram slots inside the system. Let us know how it goes.

5 Posts

August 24th, 2015 14:00

Hello Rodrigo,

Ok, I did a test with one memory stick on one of the slot only and none of them was able to boot the desktop. I drained the power in between each test.

The only difference between the 2 slots on the left of the CPU vs the 2 other slots on the right (the closest to the big fan) is that nothing happens on the left-slots whereas the desktop 2-beeps on the right slots. In both cases, I have no power on the moose, no power on the keyboard and no screen.

Now, is it possible to break everything because a memory stick is not correctly connected? Because when I started removing the memory sticks, I removed the 2 on the left as they are more accessible. The desktop was working fine during 2 hours and I pushed it at maximum to check everything was okay. Then, I shut it down, removed the right sticks, put back the left sticks. Then, nothing came up. However, when I tried to put the same sticks on the right slots, I didn’t realize at that time that the left and right slots are in the opposite way… So, I wrongly put the 2 sticks and it was 2-beep of course. I just notice this configuration of the right slots today but even with the sticks on the right position, it is 2-beeping now.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 25th, 2015 16:00

Thank you for confirming this. It could be a problem with the RAM or the motherboard but it certainly seems hardware related. If your system is in warranty, send me a PM with your service tag for further assistance. 

5 Posts

August 26th, 2015 14:00

Hello Rodrigo,

Well, after re-checking again, I found that you must press the memory stick with only one finger until you hear the click to correctly plug a stick. Now, I can re-use all the slots and sticks correctly... Thanks for your patience.

About my warranty, unfortunatelly, it expire 6 months ago, but I liaise with the French support to help me on the graphical issue.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 27th, 2015 12:00

Hello, 

Thanks for confirming this. I'm glad they were able to help you. 

5 Posts

August 29th, 2015 10:00

Hello Rodrigo,

Ok, now I'm back on my initial problem and it is much more clearer now. My issue is not related to the memory at all nor on the video card but on the video driver.

After 2-hour more or less of run, the nVidia driver crashes with a black screen or sometimes Windows is able to restore the screen back but the sound is dead. Is it strange because I've just updated the driver to the latest version and let nVidia setup the best parameters for my games, but still it crashes after 2-hours of usage.

In the event log, I saw this error Windows failed at startup with error 0xC00000D4. I'll try to disable the fast startup to check if it can impact on the init of the drivers. I saw one onther interesting error in the event log, but I'm not able to found it again.

If you have any suggestion how to fix this issue, it would be strongly welcome.

Thanks,

No Events found!