Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 11th, 2011 06:00

Alienware Aurora Power Supply - 120 to 240V - is there a switch?

Hello,

I've not been able to find the manual in all the moving boxes yet, so I'll post my question here.

How do I switch the Power Supply Unit over from 120 Volts to 240Volts so I can run the Computer here in Germany?

Is there a switch somewhere? I have another PC that just has a little switch at the back of the PSU, but I haven't seen that on my Aurora.

Thank you for your help!

Thanks!
Tom

4 Posts

March 12th, 2011 09:00

Anybody?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 12th, 2011 11:00

I can't say definitively. In the US we use 120v @ 60Hz ... and I have never tried 240v @ 50Hz. But in general, if electronics say "120v to 240v" and there is no switch they are auto-switching. I think you just use a different power cord.

Dell phone support should know.

We are not answering because we are not sure, and we don't want you to blow-up your machine

4 Posts

March 12th, 2011 14:00

Thank you Tesla... the German Technical Support line doesn't answer hardware questions on weekends ... they told me to call back Monday.

There are spaceships to be flown and stuff to be blown up though ...

Still hoping for someone that was in the same situation as me and already found the answer.

4 Posts

March 15th, 2011 01:00

So ... Technical Support checked my Service Tag and found that my 2010 Model has an active PFC Power Supply and can therefore switch automatically.

All that needs to be observed is that you use the correct power cord and not some weird adapters, so that the device is properly grounded.

No Events found!