Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

September 19th, 2012 13:00

Alienware Aurora R3 desktop fan/noise issue

Hi everyone,

I bought an Alienware Aurora R3 back in July 2011,it worked fine for a few months but then I had issues with memory(desktop constantly beeping).Dell sent a technician a look at the problem.The technician installed a new Graphics Card ( Nvidia GTX 590) a new motherboard and two new memory sticks.

That was fine until I started playing games,basically a fan( not sure where) keeps making very loud noises,to the point where I have to shut the game down to stop it.I'm afraid to run anymore games in case the GPU catches fire.When I say loud I mean worryingly loud,

So I got in touch with a Dell technician yesterday,I had his phone number from the last time he was here..and he said he would ring me to discuss the problem.

I have to say though when I first got the desktop I had no issues with fan noise or anything like that while playing games..I'm not blaming the technician but it seems that things are worse since he troubleshoot my desktop/

So now I can't play any games because the fan/s go off really loud,could be GPU fan ,CPU fan .etc etc making the noise I'm not sure

I'm under warranty until July 2013

What are my options

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Brian 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 19th, 2012 13:00

First step is to run the machine with the side cover off. Push it hard. Find out which fan/fans are the problem.

There are about 7 fans in the system. There are about 4 different systems controlling those fan sets. There are also some components (like a cooling pump) that might be misinterpreted as "fan noise" (if going out).

16 Posts

September 19th, 2012 15:00

Hi Tesla1856,

I did that but it's very hard to determine which fan is the problem..if it is a fan ..

I'll wait and see what happens with the technician,he said he'd ring me tomorrow..

Thanks again for your help

Brian

No Events found!