Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2012 16:00

Alienware Aurora R3 freezes at Windows 8 Logo

Hi Guys My Aurora R3 when restarted it spins the dotted circle on windows 8 and just before it is about to boot to open windows it freezes. This is only on restart if I completely shut down it starts up fine. I did not have this problem with windows 7.

Aurora R3

Intel core i5 2400 Sandy Bridge

Socket 1155 LGA

Systemboard 046MHW

Memory ddr3 6GB

Graphics 2 x NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 460

BIOS A06

15 Posts

November 20th, 2012 07:00

I started two posts on ideastorm as well.  Recent Ideas ----> AngellaM

9 Posts

November 20th, 2012 14:00

THIS IS RIDICULOUS YOU ARE FOLLOWING THE ADVICE OF CHRIWS M WHOS STATED IN THIS THREA IT IS NOT SUPPORTED AND TO CAST A VOTE ON IDEAFOR A PRODUCT THEY SHOULD SUPPORT SHAME ON DELL NEVER BUYING ONE AGAIN AND I MAKE A POINT TO TELL EVERYONE INCLUDING MY OVER 300 IT CLIENTS I USE TO RECOMMEND DELL TO

YES I AM SHOUTING!!!

15 Posts

November 20th, 2012 14:00

Hopefully if we gather enough votes we can convince Dell and Alienware to give us the BIOS SUPPORT WE NEED VOTE HERE AT THE DELL IDEASTORM WEBSITE

www.ideastorm.com/idea2ReadIdea

November 20th, 2012 16:00

Help me petition Dell for Aurora support and other models as well! www.change.org/.../dell-and-other-manufacturers-fully-support-windows-8-on-older-models

15 Posts

Clearly at this point we are all SOL. this  is the only option we have left...

15 Posts

I have no Idea how that website works, but why not give it a try?

15 Posts

November 20th, 2012 20:00

Good thinking, i was thinking of doing that! That will probably be more effective than that ideastorm thing, I'll be sure to share the link

9 Posts

November 22nd, 2012 09:00

I agree still no fix, looks like ti will never happen.  SHAME ON DEL!  1 year old computer that will not even run Windows 8.

27 Posts

November 29th, 2012 21:00

Constructive idea: I'll build my own PC from now on.  If it is not fully upgradeable then I will build one that is.  It's terrible that for this price tag we have to purchase a new motherboard for an OS upgrade (from a motherboard company that supports new operating systems).  It's sad that Alienware/Dell have gone down hill and could care less about their customers.

15 Posts

January 18th, 2013 20:00

There are no plans whatsoever. This is straight from an alienware tech. They have says they will only offer support for the os that Comes with the system

January 18th, 2013 20:00

Dell should at least come out officially and let us know if they plan fixing this situation or leaving it be. I am about to replace the motherboard in the R3 to upgrade to 8

January 18th, 2013 23:00

Looking more from an authoritative source than the forum tech that monitors this forum. I would be interested on the total volume numbers of the Aurora R3, gauging how many individuals are impacted by this flaw. This unique issue is impacting my ability to install an OS I have already paid for, which is unfortuante. I imagine most of the individuals on this forum are in the same boat and the least Dell can do is inform the community its support for the R3 will gain a fix from their engineering team to allivate this problem.

If not, then a respectful acknowledgement that they are not pursuing the fix will allow me to move on with a MB upgrade and the notion I will no longer buy another alienware again. For a premium margin item such as Alienware for dell, the common courtesy of saying either or would be expected. Evidently, price in this case does not dictate a hightened level of support and priority, such as a premium car or other service purchase.

That being the case, the next purchase will not weight as heavy as to a premium margin computer with the false illusion of enhanced service.

P.S Dell Management, esculate where you need to, get a communication out there regarding the fate of the R3 and Windows 8.

15 Posts

January 19th, 2013 00:00

That's what i have been saying all along. Believe me we have tried to get them to notice us. We have started petitions on change.org as well as Dells ideastorm.com. I must say i have been one of the most vocal customers out there. Look for AngellaM on alienwarearena.com as well as the ideastorm and this dell forum, or just google "AngellaM AlienwareArena" and you should look for my posts/rants such as why alienware should..... my posts come up around the 4th or 5th result.

I have been going at this since November 2012, and i have almost given up, but you should know that there is a flawed solution i have not had the guts to try myself. It involves installing Windows 8 on a fresh hard drive, and i would advise you to not use the hard drive you have win7 on, but keep it as backup incase installation goes bad. Also another thing buy the win8 that comes on a disk, as there are known problems when trying to install from a usb drive. Let me know how it goes if you are willing to try it. You should know, that warm booting during installation might be necessary several times from what i have seen on the forums.

15 Posts

January 21st, 2013 10:00

1 Message

January 27th, 2013 05:00

Aurora r3 win 8 installation will work if you do the following : 1-start the instillation process and it will freeze and that is fine 2- go to the bios and change the boot order to the uefi ( mine did not say win boot manager, instead some numbers after it) 3- start the installation again and make sure every time the installation restart the computer you keep pressing F2 to go to bios. Do not do any thing just save and exist ) 4- make sure that only things hooked up to your pc is the monitor, mouse, keyboard only) 5- once instillation complete you might have to force shut down once and you will reboot to win 8 desktop. At this point your pc will still hung on cold restart. 6- go to dell driver page and download and install intel chipset driver and USB 3.0 renesas integrated 3.0 driver and that will take care of the freezing upon restart issue. I hope it works for you as it took me a while to get things to work on mine, Good luck all.
No Events found!