Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 25th, 2013 00:00

Alienware Aurora R4 ALX Power button issue

Hi, recently received my AW R4 ALX, I seemed to notice that the power button seemed to wobble from left to right, I initially tried to switch the PC "ON" by normally pressing it down, nothing seemed to happen, tried to press it several times until I noticed that it needs to be pressed firmly, all way down and then it booted up. was this normal on how the power button was built or was it some kind of factory defect? hope to hear from others with the same concern. Thanks and any replies will be much appreciated.

3 Posts

January 25th, 2013 08:00

Got it, thank you so much.

158 Posts

January 25th, 2013 08:00

Hello Lyle, please send us an email to awsocialmedia@dell.com with the message you posted above. Also include your service tag, full name and contact info. We'll take a close look at your case.

111 Posts

January 28th, 2013 09:00

Got the same problem with my R4.  Always have to fight with the button to have it work.

158 Posts

January 29th, 2013 15:00

Send an email to that same box Leodagan, a tech will contact you shortly.

11 Posts

January 29th, 2013 18:00

I just had mine replaced today, same issues. When the tech had It apart I noticed that there is a thin bent piece of metal the the button uses for a spring. Mine was bent farther down on one side than the other. The new one still wobbles a bit, but works every time.

January 30th, 2013 21:00

i had this power button assembly replaced twice now and still a pain to power up unit what gives here

4 Posts

February 12th, 2013 11:00

Hi there.

My power button does the same, its very wobbly left to right.

The other day it was stuck in the down position but a with a bit of wobbling it popped back out.

I can live with it if its not a defect. Can anyone advise?

February 12th, 2013 16:00

they will have to replaced front power button assembly they replaced mine twice i gave up they sent me a different unit

111 Posts

February 14th, 2013 06:00

is it possible for them just to send another button and let me replace it?  I really dont want to deal with support or have a tech come to my house.

?

February 14th, 2013 08:00

if its under warranty tech will come out and replace front power button assembly they put in a whole unit  like i said they did mine twice still didnt work correctly but let them do it its there job

February 14th, 2013 09:00

heck no get them to replaced it this power button assembly is junk i had to get another unit after having assembly replaced twice

February 14th, 2013 10:00

Hi there!

We usually send out technicians for this type of repairs.

Please send us an email to awsocialmedia@dell.com with your service tag and contact info. I’ll help you the best way I can

757 Posts

February 14th, 2013 11:00

The job of replacing the small spring push button you use to turn on the computer is a semi pain in the [TOU Violation Removed] job. I tore into mine a couple of years ago when I had the same issue. Dell would not just send in the part so a tech came by.

I had believed it was the power button under the silver button we all push and had asked that the power assembly be replaced, as others on this board had mentioned the silver button is not the actual power button. I was told that would be the part sent out.

As usual Dell sent out the entire front Bezel of an ALX, not the regular R1 I owned. No power assembly in site. I had already disassembled the computer since I did not want the tech around for hours. As it turned out it was the power button but I was never able to get Dell to send out the needed power assembly. It still works today but you have to push it oddly at times to get it powered.

Make sure they send out both components just in case it is one or the other, or both. In any case be sure to clean that area and apply a bit of synthetic lubricant to the plastic parts of the power button that slide against each other. You'll see this once it is apart.

I found in the past it is a must to have the Dell tech on the phone send you a picture of the actual part being sent out. This avoids the long wait only to have the Tech arrive without the necessary parts.

If I recall the service manual on line shows you what you need to remove to get into that area.

Good luck.

18 Posts

April 20th, 2014 11:00

R4 Power Button issue and the Alien Head release panel.

The R4 does have a problem with the POWER BUTTON - ..  You would think they would use the ALIEN HEAD to power the unit - not some small diamond shaped button that is wobbly, doesn't work when you press it - and you must try again and again, and must hold it down.    Doesn't start or misses starts/shuts down.

You would think that the designer or anyone at the company would check this out before passing it off as final design.    I mentioned the ALIEN HEAD because it is just a fancy door panel release - of which if you are not careful - you will jam/lock your drive if you windows EJECT IT without first pressing the ALIEN HEAD to release down the panel.

So just like the POWER BUTTON -  the design of the sliding down front panel (opened by pressing the Alien head) is terrible - as it can damage your DVD/DISK drive when ejecting.

No Events found!