Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 29th, 2017 15:00

Alienware Aurora R6 --- I wanna install SSD in it and do the first boot with the SSD , is it possible ? Or i have to install everything on HDD then install my SSD.

Hi, im a beginner and i want some help on how i can install my Hyper X Savage 480GB that is sleeping on my desk for a while in my Aurora R6 and put all the basic stuff on it like my Operating system (windows 10) on first boot on my SSD.

2 Posts

March 29th, 2017 16:00

Yes 2,5 inch. So in a simple way :

1.I start the computer from company let it update and install everything 

2. When its opened i do a backup (image file) since pretty much only the operating system and basic apps will be installed .

3. I install the SSD .

4. Restore on the SSD . (How do i tell the computer to restore but on the SSD ?)

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 29th, 2017 16:00

Upgrade Alienware desktop with Windows-10 bootable C: from spinning HDD to faster SSD

- If this is a new computer, do the Windows First Time Setup.

- Backup important files to USB flash-drive and put somewhere safe

- Download your computers PDF Service-Manual. Read and prepare for project.

- Download and install Macrium Reflect Free.

- Create Macrium Bootable USB flash-drive. Test it by pressing F12 on boot.

Either do this:

- Clone your existing whole C: Drive spinning HardDiskDrive to the SSD.

- Shut-Down and connect only the SSD to SATA-Interface.

Or this instead: 

- Make an Image File (with Verify on) of spinning HDD C: Drive to a file on an external USB-HDD

-    -   It should include all the existing Partitions on the spinning C: Drive

- With only the SSD connected to the internal SATA-Interface for next steps ...

- Boot the Macrium USB flash-drive and restore the Image file from the USB-HDD to the SSD

Finally, you:

- Boot and use computer with your new fast SSD

- Shut-Down and reboot a couple of times and check operation.

- You might have to check/change your BIOS options before it will Boot on it's own

-   -  Changing UEFI / Legacy or AHCI / RAID might require more work, re-Imaging, or complete clean Windows install.

Notes:

Before you start, you can also Search for and "create a Recovery Drive" using Windows-10's native utility program. It never hurts to have an extra backup image.
It usually requires a 16gb USB-Flash-Drive. Restoring with this flash drive is a little different and not covered in this post.

If you want to Nuke and Pave instead (format and clean install), you can make Windows-10 (64bit) Installation Media from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Get your Alienware drivers from here:

http://support.dell.com

Should be close to my post here.

Edit: v1.3

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 29th, 2017 17:00

That is Correct.

However, while your steps are shorter, you still have to read and follow all my steps.

Also, the answer to our question was already in my original directions. Please read my post above carefully. It's the only SSD or HDD currently connected to the SATA-Interface at that point.

Good Luck. Let us know how it works-out. Maybe you can Mark my answer Correct if it works. Enjoy your new fast computer.

No Events found!