Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

December 14th, 2017 09:00

Alienware Aurora R7 PSU/GPU Noise (Coil whine?)

I am having issues with the noise coming presumably from the PSU as I have seen many other videos with similar noises in which they have had their issues stem from the PSU. It could be the GPU too but it sounds just like the PSU. Can somebody please help with this issue? How do I contact Dell/Alienware for a replacement or technician to come and replace it? Is there any way I could buy my own PSU and have someone from Dell/AW replace it? I would do so myself but I do not think I could do all the cable work particularly from the back. It is rather annoying under load and extremely loud. Sounds like coil whine. What kind of PSU's are good for the chassis in the R7?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

December 14th, 2017 10:00

Hi ‌,

Send me a private message with the service tag and I will assist you with this. 

2 Posts

December 14th, 2017 13:00

Service tag? On the PC? It has gotten a little better by the way but is still present. 

December 16th, 2017 16:00

I have the same exact problem, I've narrowed it down to the PSU.  I have the upgraded 850W Bronze PSU.  Dell even went as far as to send me a replacement PC, and this one has the same issue. It only happens when rendering 3D graphics, so I figured it was the GPU at first, but after swapping out the GPU with a GTX 970 FTW I had on another computer realizing the sound was still there, I tracked it down to the GPU itself.

I'm actually surprised for the money spent that this isnt a Gold PSU and only a Bronze.  I'll keep you posted if / when Dell gets this situated.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

December 18th, 2017 08:00

Hi ‌,

If you need help please send me a private message with the service tag. 

December 18th, 2017 09:00

Hi Alienware-Eimy,

How do I go about sending you a private message?

Ok sounds good for a desktop, but what if I'm on a cell phone without access to a PC? (Current situation)

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

Just hover the cursor over my username and click message. 

No Events found!