Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 4th, 2011 00:00

Alienware Aurora freezing randomly

Recently out of the box my Alienware Aurora right out of the box was freezing within the first hour I got it. I've talked to the tech support on the phone, he did some test and such on my CPU and etc. and updated my drivers, did a test that took like an hour on the PSA+ thing when I press F12 when restarting. 

System specs - 

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

875w PSU

i7-2600 w/ 8mb cache overclocked to 3.9ghz

8gb ddr3 at 1333mhz ram

1GB GDDr5 gtx 460

1TB hard drive

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 4th, 2011 00:00

I suggest you try removing the Over-Clock and run the i7-2600 at it's stock rated speed.

Should have been one of the first things the Phone Support rep. tried.

April 4th, 2011 11:00

I did that and it and it still continued to crash. Any more suggestions?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 4th, 2011 13:00

You can either:

1. Call Dell Phone Support back, and tell them you are still having problems. Work with them until it's fixed.

2. Troubleshoot it yourself (just like any other PC). This thread is a good example of steps to follow (just ignore the RAID stuff). Basically, you find out WHAT DOES WORK and move forward.

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19366692/19829496.aspx?PageIndex=1

April 4th, 2011 21:00

Well, the Alienware support thing is not availible at this time I think but I believe I've encountered another problem. Whenever my computer freezes and I have to hard reboot it when it's restarting it sounds like an electric razor for like shaving and stuff and I'm not a big computer techie(I just like to play games) but it sounds like something is spinning wrong and it's VERY loud and I have no idea what to do. What should I do from here? Can I send it back and get a replacement?

86 Posts

It may just be the GPU fans spinning on at power-up/reboot. Does it only last a few seconds?

It lasted like 10 seconds and it scared the hell out of me.

36 Posts

April 4th, 2011 22:00

I really appreciate the difficult job the dell techs have and to deal with this kind of problem over the phone can't be fun for anyone...

Having said that - here's a customer who dropped probably close to 2k on an alienware system.  I don't think its unreasonable to expect to receive a product that works right out of the box.  People purchase not only a system but an the expectation of quality that goes with the Alienware brand.

This problem got my attention because I just ordered the same exact system.  Also, my level of computer knowledge is also pretty low - again which is why I purchased and paid a premium for the Alienware brand.  As well as paid extra for the top of the line warranty. 

What is the return policy on this system?  To tell an admitted newbie to troubleshoot a new advanced system after he has already spent considerable time with the Dell technicians is unacceptable (In my opinion)

At this point the answer should be "Box it up and send it back to us and we will send a system that works."  Again it's not unreasonable to expect a 2k rig to work right out of the box and to keep working for an extended period.  This is Alienware, not Acer, .  I for one went with Alienware because the brand has a reputation for quality.  I paid more for this name to get a trouble free system and I assume the writer in this post did as well. 

Any comments, observations are greatly appreciated. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 5th, 2011 02:00

What is the return policy on this system? 

I hope neither one of you purchased a $2000 computer not knowing that. I learned a long time ago not to quote or try to interpret Dell policies.

To tell an admitted newbie to troubleshoot a new advanced system after he has already spent considerable time with the Dell technicians is unacceptable (In my opinion)

Unless users state their experience level in their initial posts, we (people trying to help) have no way of knowing their abilities, knowledge level, what they are willing to learn, who they might have on-hand to help them (friends or family), etc..

The OP asked for technical help (over and beyond what Phone Support did). Somehow, I don't think "Send it back" was what they had in mind.

I for one went with Alienware because the brand has a reputation for quality.  I paid more for this name to get a trouble free system and I assume the writer in this post did as well. 

Do you actually think any of us expect less?

We are just fellow Alienware owners who take the time to try to help others out.

Computers are complicated machines. Most work fine. Some get damaged in shipping, some leave the factory barely working. Some have hardware components fail after a few hours. Maybe the customers AC power is bad or weak. Sometimes software fails or gets corrupt (or a wrong setting or virus), or maybe just a good-old compatibility problem. The list goes on and on. If you want to own a home computer, but not know how to fix them ... well, hopefully you are lucky or rich.

36 Posts

April 5th, 2011 06:00

Thanks for the response.  I appreciate that it was concise, informed and free of personal attacks. 

I agree that these advanced rigs are complicated systems.  I tend to look at them almost along the same lines as an automobile both in expense and complexity. Some people on these boards enjoy the challenges of upgrading and troubleshooting these systems and others of us simply pay more to get a name brand, quality system that works out of the box and will run for several years with little or no downtime.    

I'm judging from the customer's e-mails (perhaps incorrectly) that he's at a more rudimentary knowledge level and simply wanted a top of the line gaming rig with little or no hassle.

And actually by asking the return policy on this board I was being lazy-the Dell refund policy is readily available to anyone with access to the internet (GIYF).  I guess I'm interested in seeing how it works in reality.  I've often found that what is stated and real-world interpretation are two different things.  So I apologize for that.

However, I re-iterate my original statement-this customer appears to have received a system that was dead within a few hours out of the box.  He made several attempts to correct this and in one post appears to have run out of options and is asking for additional options. 

I believe there are actual Dell employees on this board (based on my reading of past posts) that have the authority to approve Dell-sanctioned action.  (Please correct me if I'm wrong here.)   Would be cool if one stepped up and said,"Looks like you received a defective machine.  Sorry about that.  Box it up and send it back and we'll replace it."  I actually expected that pretty early in the dialogue and since it hasn't happened I'm wondering about the reality of the Dell policy.  Here I have the chance to observe an actual worst case scenario first hand- customer pays for an advanced machine (the exact same one I've recently ordered) which dies within hours of unboxing.  What is Dell's response?   Again, I'm curious to see the reality of customer service vs what is stated in the official Dell Return Policy document online.

Any/all comments or opinions are appreciated.

Hope everybody has a good day.

April 5th, 2011 08:00

Had same problem with random freezing. But it would always freeze when doing a "rate your system " feature with windows. 3 days of Alien tech support, reinstall OS, tests and more tests. Still had problem. Then talked with support in evening. He suggested pulling all but 1 memory sticks . I have 4 [2gb each] . Then run one stick for 24 hrs. If have problem set to side, well run each stick for 24 hrs, no problem. Then I put the second stick in[now 2 in MB] then third stick in, then fourth stick in. Did not have a problem until the 4th stick went in. Then I had freeze up. So pulled 4th stick out ran "rate your system"  no problem. Then I noticed that I did not have "Intel rapid storage" what ever. So I installed from resource DVD. Ran rate your computer with just 3 sticks and she froze up. So I uninstalled . Now I did notice that this program was installed from the factory when I first recieved my computer. So maybe there was a conflict with software as this I believe is a RAID controller and I only have one HD in my system. So I guess I have a bad memory stick or the last memory slot on the MB is bad. After all the hassle I don't know if I dare find out. And having paid $1500 for a system there should be a better return policy. Support said I could return my computer, but would have to purchase one first, That one would be in the factory being made. And when that was was deliverede then I could send the bad one back to factory. I said a very loud "no way". i DID NOT HAVE ANOTHER $1500 TO BUY ONE. hE THEN SAID ANY CREDIT CARD WILL DO. i TOLD HIM i DID NOT HAVE THAT MUCH ON ANY CARD. aND THAT i THOUGHT THEY SHOULD have a better return policy than that. So as you can see that I'm a little fearful to go any farther on this. I don't want to be with out a computer [work] and I don't have $1500 either.

April 5th, 2011 09:00

By the way Fireball, my system is identical to yours but for the processor.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 5th, 2011 13:00

Had same problem with random freezing. But it would always freeze when doing a "rate your system " feature with windows. 3 days of Alien tech support, reinstall OS, tests and more tests. Still had problem. Then talked with support in evening. He suggested pulling all but 1 memory sticks . I have 4 [2gb each] . Then run one stick for 24 hrs. If have problem set to side, well run each stick for 24 hrs, no problem. Then I put the second stick in[now 2 in MB] then third stick in, then fourth stick in. Did not have a problem until the 4th stick went in. Then I had freeze up. So pulled 4th stick out ran "rate your system"  no problem.

The best way to test memory:

First, be sure your BIOS is set to Defaults (no Over-Clock, etc.). Be sure all 4 sticks are identified correctly in BIOS.

Second, run Dell Diagnostics. Be sure all tests pass (especially RAM in your case).

Third, go to www.MemTest86.com, create and run the disc. If it runs 3 complete consecutive passes ... your RAM is likely good.

Then I noticed that I did not have "Intel rapid storage" what ever. So I installed from resource DVD. Ran rate your computer with just 3 sticks and she froze up. So I uninstalled . Now I did notice that this program was installed from the factory when I first recievedmy computer. So maybe there was a conflict with software as this I believe is a RAID controller and I only have one HD in my system.

The Intel-RST on that disc is likely the old version. You should download and install the latest version from support.dell.com.

There are basically 2 parts to that software ... a HDD driver and the app interface. Once Intel-RST is installed on a system, the Intel HDD driver part replaces the Microsoft HDD driver permanently. The HDD driver part can not be removed (even if you un-install the app part).

Not sure why it wasn't installed from the factory ... unless Dell has made the determination that it's not compatible or optimal on these new R-3s (and their new chipset). If not running a RAID, it is not required or even recommended. However, now that you have installed it ... you can not easily remove it.

And having paid $1500 for a system there should be a better return policy. Support said I could return my computer, but would have to purchase one first, That one would be in the factory being made. And when that was was deliverede then I could send the bad one back to factory. I said a very loud "no way". i DID NOT HAVE ANOTHER $1500 TO BUY ONE. hE THEN SAID ANY CREDIT CARD WILL DO. i TOLD HIM i DID NOT HAVE THAT MUCH ON ANY CARD. aNDTHAT i THOUGHT THEY SHOULD have a better return policy than that. So as you can see that I'm a little fearful to go any farther on this. I don't want to be with out a computer [work] and I don't have $1500 either.

Well, like I said ... I don't usually comment on Dell policies (because I have no control over what they do). However, I'm pretty sure that is incorrect. This is my understanding of how it works. Within the first 20-30 days you can return it if broken. If you are under warranty, and your machine is broken, they will fix it. If they can't fix it, they will send you a replacement machine (although, in some cases, it might be refurbished). You shouldn't have to pay any more money.

In general, it's not un-common for a company (any company) to request a credit card number before they send parts or machines ... before they get the old one back. It's just so that they have a way of charging for it in case you "are up to something" and they never get the old machine back. As long as you send the old one back (and you keep all your records ... showing that they received it) nothing should be charged to your card.

The only way around that is to send the part or machine back to them first. Or, if you have a Dell Preferred Credit Account with available credit, I think they will use that instead.

36 Posts

April 5th, 2011 14:00

Thanks for the info.  That's good to know.

April 5th, 2011 16:00

I just talked to Alienware technical support and he wants me to do a clean windows install and install drivers in order. How do I do a clean windows install?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 5th, 2011 17:00

I just talked to Alienware technical support and he wants me to do a clean windows install and install drivers in order. How do I do a clean windows install?

The link I already posted ... middle of page 2. 

No Events found!