Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 9th, 2011 14:00

Alienware Desktops - Adding a second graphics card later

Okay, I've been planning over the past several weeks to buy an Alienware desktop. I go to do it tonight, and to my horror, none of the options include Dual Geforce GTX 580 SLI and there's no mention of the GTX 590 at all!

Well basically, it looks like that I'll have to buy the second card separate. I have installed graphics cards before, but installing them in a liquid cooled case (assuming Dell is still doing liquid cooling as of 9 September)...I've never even seen a liquid cooled computer before.

Can someone walk me through adding a second card to an Alienware? Preferably with video?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

The liquid cooling on the Alienware systems is only for the CPU's ... not the video cards. There are pictures of the internals on the product pages and tear-down videos on YouTube.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Since nVidia cards are picky about SLI partners (both cards must usually match exactly or very close) ... I would suggest you buy it that way (but you say you can't).

So then, I suggest you buy it with the cheapest card you can, but with the largest power supply. After you get the machine and you are sure everything works fine ... pull the cheap OEM card and install 2 matching retail cards.

In my opinion ... if you want SLI, you should really be looking at an Area-51, not Aurora.

322 Posts

Not to change the subject but you may want to check the Dell Outlet store and see if they have anything you can use.  Also before you complete the deal and where you go to pay there is a place for a promo code.  I opened an 2nd window and googled Dell codes, Alienware codes, and outlet codes.  I spent nearly an hour trying most every code that I thought would work.  I finally hit on a 20% off one that knocked an additional $537 off my total bill.  Where else can you get a Alienware Area 51 ALX with dual cards, dual CD/DVD/Bluray/ the I7 990 chip which Newegg wants $1000 for just the chip for $2800 with taxes and shipping?  I did a customize with the samething and saved $2000.  All I added was 2 aftermarket HD's of 2TB each for another $250.  A couple hickcups but well worth the savings.  Think abut it.

6 Posts

Thanks Tesla...although I'm on the Dell.ie site right now, looking at their Alienware desktops, and while there are side shots of the internals, the pictures are tiny and I can't make out any detail.

Well, thank you, you actually did answer my question.

6 Posts

Thanks I think...but you didn't answer my question. Basically, will I have any trouble adding in a second graphics in a LIQUID COOLED system, that is assuming the Alienware desktops are still liquid cooled. Non-liquid cooled systems, you just slot in the card, and connect the power cables, I know that and have done it before, but I'm uneasy about adding one in a liquid cooled system. Is there anything extra I need to do?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Oh, and I think you want dual 580's or a single 590.

Dual 590 is going to be trickly (even on a super high end custom build). You will need an excellent case cooling, high-end motherboard, and excellent power supply ... and then you still have to hope the drivers, OS, and games can handle the quad GPU setup properly. Good luck.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/289769-30-gigabyte-sniper-dual

6 Posts

I do apologize if I came off as rude, I just hate it when I ask a question and the answer I get doesn't have anything to do with the question. I used Yahoo Answers a while back for a computer related question, and it turned into a flame war between two people, who used my question to diss each other...I would get emails saying I have an answer, only to go to the site and find out they weren't actually answers.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Not to be rude here people, 

Well you are ... un-grateful also comes to mind ... especially when I was just trying to help you.

And for your information, I posted my second message before I read your second one. We must of been typing and posting at the same time.

322 Posts

September 9th, 2011 18:00

Sometimes the answer isn't as simple as one and one is two.  Why would someone want to tell you yes you can put in those 2 video cards fully knowing that there will be major problems with them down the road.  Sure they will work but maybe only for the short haul and long term may cost you big bucks and be a huge headache.  In other words they were trying their best to help you which he may not want to do again in the future.

No Events found!