Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 8th, 2013 03:00

Alienware M11x R1 Binary GFX Issue

I have just completed a fresh install on Windows 7 Home Prem on a M11x R1, and updated to the recommended graphics drivers, version 263.08,A02 from here http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/uk/en/ukdhs1/Product/alienware-m11x. The graphics switching is working either using FN + F6 or the system tray tool, but when I switch to the discreet GT 335M graphics I am just seeing a blank white screen, when I then FN+F6 again I am returned to the desk top.

Silly question... is this intended behavior? Should I be able to view the desktop, browser etc using the discreet graphics or is there something wrong? The device didn't even have a hard drive when I bought is so cannot say if it was working prior to the Windows install

158 Posts

February 8th, 2013 08:00

Hi, The [Fn]+[F6] key combination toggles between Increased Performance Mode (Discrete graphics mode)  and Save Power Mode (Integrated graphics mode) . And yes, you should be able to game while on Increased Performance Mode. We wrote an article to deal with the most common problems using binary graphics.

For that system, it's recommended to use the driver from the Dell's support website to avoid issues with this feature.

2 Posts

February 8th, 2013 16:00

Thank you for the response Pablo, I have followed the instructions on the mentioned article. Re-installed display driver and flashed the bios but I am still seeing the same issue, when switching to the discrete graphics the entire screen turns white.

158 Posts

February 11th, 2013 14:00

Please send me the service tag of that system to awsocialmedia@dell.com. Include your name, contact info and the link to this thread. I would like to take a closer look at your case.

No Events found!