Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 12th, 2010 04:00

Alienware M11x R2 CPU Limitation Problem

Greetings.

I posted also in the Dell forums, but nobody replied so here goes here.

Yesterday I just received my brand new shiny Alienware m11x. Today I went for it to use it, since I need it alot for graphics designing/CAD.

First of all some specs:

- CPU: Intel i5 520UM - Link.

- 4GB RAM;

- 500GB HDD 7200 RPM. The rest is the stock configuration.

Ok, good, I put up a scene in 3DStudio Max, start CPU-Z and went for a quick test. Everything default in the BIOS. When all the cores went to full load to render the scene, the multiplier went down to 8 from 14 and stayed there.

Time to investigate I say to myself. So I reboot and crank up the CPU FSB to 150, verify that speedstep and stuff are enabled, turbo mode enabled. I start Prime95 only to watch in agony the multiplier go from 14 to 8. What the? You can overclock the FSB and the multiplier DROPS when I fully load the CPU? That is just retarded.

Temperatures measured with Realtemp show me 62*C in full load. That is less than my workstation, Xeon X3440 running at 3.6GHz, which, in full load, goes up to 70*C.

I really need this computer for applications that work as intended when they fully load the CPU, so please explain it to me or fix it. A friend of mine assumed that when the CPU exceeds the maximum TDP it was supposed to dissipate, it throttles down the multiplier. If so, by God I will stick a TEC (ThermoElectricCooling) Pad in there and I`ll still run it @2.4GHz.

Thank you for your kindness in advance,

Sincerely yours, Cosmin.

P.S.: my moaning led to THIS. Please read it carefully, I also posted there results and stuff. It is a SHAME that Alienware scams his customers like this, by fscking up the BIOS so that the underpowered (?) adapters or the batteries will not blow up. Please explain yourselves for charging this much for a CPU that had its balls removed and how come a user has to come and clean up your mess.

9 Posts

October 12th, 2010 04:00

Because these forums are like from the stoneage and I can`t edit a previous post, here goes again the LINK to the forums where a home user cleaned up (partially) the mess the Alienware bios created.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 12th, 2010 12:00

Yes, this forum software is a little clunky, but you get used to it. The Edit Button, is the little green pencil at the bottom.

I hope this works out for you. However, I feel I must say this ... I think you might have purchased the wrong machine. Don't you think a Precision M6500 would work better for you? Is 3DStudioMax using OpenGL or Direct-X these days?

Of course, a desktop would be better, but I'm guessing you needed a mobile solution in addition to your Xeon desktop workstation.

9 Posts

October 13th, 2010 04:00

Greetings. It seems I`m a little blind and the green pencil escaped me :)

3DSMax uses both openGL and DirectX, it`s a choice available to the user. I needed an ultraportable solution next to the workstation I already have, and, although I don`t plan on rendering the whole stuff on it, some renders are necessary before the final scene or animation is rendered in full (which, via remote desktop, I can do on the workstation :)).

Fact is Unclewebb did come to a solution with his ThrottleStop tool and now the little lappie is working as intended, but I`ve been curious though why there are no tools like Hyperthreading Enable/Disable in the bios or other useful stuff. All the laptop bios-es seem so simple compared to a usual desktop board, although there are monitoring sensors and adjustable voltages and stuff like that.

Oh well, waiting for the next version of notebook hardware control  :)

62 Posts

October 13th, 2010 06:00

AFAIK the CPU multiplier is 14 if only one core is needed (1866MHz).

The CPU normally runs at 1066MHz (multi 8). This is also the case when both cores are needed but not under full load.

Indeed that's strange because I think the CPU should run at a higher multi while both cores are needed due to turbo-boost.

9 Posts

October 13th, 2010 07:00

With TurboBoost enabled, the CPU multiplier while 1 core is stressed is 14, but while 2 cores are stressed it`s 12, not 8. The hyperthreading technology or the BIOS or the TDP self measurement cuts off tho the multiplier down to 8 while all cores are under full load (rendering in 3DSMax for instance). We are not discussing the situation when turbo boost is disabled, when the max multiplier is 8x.

Anyway, it seems to be fixed by ThrottleStop, multiplier doesn`t go below 11-12 under full load on all cores with the 2.88.2 version.

Still the tech support from Dell is awful under this matter. If it`s about any other problem I`m sure they`d be more than happy to help, but in more delicate matters they are just not to be found :(

32 Posts

October 14th, 2010 02:00

Cool ... care to share a link to downloading this particular version? I've only managed to find TS 2.85.

9 Posts

October 15th, 2010 13:00

Version 2.89.

Link 1

Link 2

Visit the discussion here  and check out the m11x .ini special setting of 7 or 8, gives a solid 12x multiplier when all the CPU cores are fully loaded :) My m11x R2 is alive, finally! No thanks to Dell though.

32 Posts

October 18th, 2010 17:00

Thanks for this. After reading the disclaimers with this, I'm wondering if it's really worth it, especially since I do use it on battery about 30% of the time i.e. is the risk to the CPU + sacrifice in battery life worth the performance benefit. I guess it really depends on what you're doing with this little beast.

12 Posts

October 21st, 2010 00:00

It does make a pretty significant difference in my M11xR2. I went from a benchmark of about 40 seconds to around 25 seconds using ThrottleStop and overclocking to 160. Then I ran prime95 and Furmark to push the CPU and GPU to the max for at least a couple of hours. The fans ramped up but the little booger was as stable as it could be. I really dig Alienware machines. I've had zero problems with all of mine.

-joe-

32 Posts

October 21st, 2010 01:00

Thanks Joe. I guess I'm happy with it the way it is (cuts through most tasks I give it like butter) without TS.

You've had zero problems? We need to hear more from people like you! e.g. on the M11x official owner's forum over at notebookreview.com. I think the general population feel that M11x are a timebomb because of the hinge issue. But that's off topic...

12 Posts

October 21st, 2010 14:00

I used to post a lot over on Notebookforums. Back when Joker was messing around with the M15x machines. I learned a lot of good stuff over there. I've been lurking in the M11x threads. I'm pretty happy with my M11x. No hinge problems yet (knock on wood). And after UncleWebbs ThrottleStop fix, the Core i5 screams. But like you said, until I read that thread I was very happy with the machine. It's a little screamer.

-joe-

10 Posts

October 21st, 2010 14:00

DO YOU have it on power plan HIGH PERFORMANCE. and not anything like save power or somthing like that.??????

28 Posts

October 21st, 2010 18:00

Throttlestop shows the most gains when the CPU is overclocked and you're using a power plan that allows for 100% CPU. There isn't really much point have TS enabled when you're not in High Performance mode.

12 Posts

October 24th, 2010 19:00

Yup yup. I've got my M11x setup with all max power settings. It's described in the thread over at notebookforums somewhere. I usually run both my Alienware notebooks wide open anyway. I use them mostly with the power adapter. If I'm on the road I just select one of the power saving setups I've created in Windows 7. ThrottleStop has the abiltiy to have different setups you can choose from itself. If you wanna get that extra boost out of your M11x you have got to read that thread. UncleWebb is a smart dude who is doing a lot for the community. If you use his setup be sure to donate.

-joe-

No Events found!