Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 6th, 2014 13:00

Alienware M14x R2 slows down after Bios update A14

Hi,

Just I've updated my M14x R2 Bios to the latest one A14 from Dell Support site because I wanted to install Windows 8.1 and that Bios was recommended. After the update my disks just slowed down (mSata SSD + 500GB WD Black). If I'm checking the disks speed in Inter RST just shows SATA transfer rate: 3Gb/s instead of 6Gb/s (which was before). If I'm changing the SATA operation from RAID to AHCI just worst.

It's a different story that I had lots of problems and spent hours with install Win8.1 while I found the correct settings in the BIOS. But the disk are still slow.

Could you plaese advise?

Thanks in advance

6 Posts

March 14th, 2014 05:00

Hi All,

Now it seems I found the problem. This is/was a compatibility issue with Sandisk X110 mSata device. I've purchased a Kingston mS200 120GB mSata module and everyting is working fine and super fast.

Thanks Naomi

1.8K Posts

March 6th, 2014 14:00

Hello!

Please verify again what BIOS version you've installed and send me the link so I can check. The latest BIOS update for M14X R2 on the Dell Support website is A13

1.8K Posts

I recommend you rollback to the M14XR2 BIOS A13 from the link here.

Before doing this, you should back up any important documents or files in your computer. Let me know how it goes!

6 Posts

Hello Naomi,

First of all thank you very much for your fast answer.

Here is the link to the Bios update for M14x R2 (for Win8.1)

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/alienware-m14x-r2?driverId=4HV4V&osCode=WB64A&fileId=3287510459&languageCode=EN&categoryId=BI

Thanks,

Balazs

6 Posts

March 6th, 2014 16:00

Hi Naomi,

Just reverted back the bios to version A13 from the link what u provided.

The problem is still exist. My drives still operating on slower speed. And the Intel RST and other apps shows that the SATA transfer rate is only 3Gb/s instead of 6Gb/s.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance

1.8K Posts

March 6th, 2014 17:00

Try to decelerate and recreate the mSATA SSD following the steps on this article.

6 Posts

March 7th, 2014 04:00

Hi Naomi,

I'm afraid this article doesn't help for me. Firstly I'm using the mSata device as an OS boot drive so not for chacheing. But, i've tried this and reinstalled the OS, unfortunately nothing changed. Still performing slow.

As I see the A14 Bios update overwrite some settings in the Sata controller on controller level or Bios level. The controller still operating on 3Gb/s even that I've reverted back to Bios A13.

Please please, i want to get back somehow my Alienware performance...

Thanks for your help in advance

1.8K Posts

March 7th, 2014 11:00

Please send me a PM with your Service Tag and a screenshot of the IRST so I can review your case further. 

6 Posts

March 8th, 2014 08:00

Hi,

Just I've sent the details in PM. When u have chance to check pls...

Thanks

No Events found!