Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

July 8th, 2013 13:00

Alienware M14x turns itself randomly off?

Hi, I have an Alienware m14x which is almost. 2 years old, and for some reason now suddenly turns itself randomly off. When i tried to turn it back on, it booted, fans at 100% making noise, but screen stayed black. It refused to respond, even turning off didnt work. Since i had to go i just let it ran out of battery. When i came home later and the laptop was off and cooled down i checked for any dust behind the back panel but none. I booted again and it worked fine, but about an hour later it suddenly turned off again. I ran the diagnostic test from the boot screen, and it showed only 1 error Error 2000:0221 system board interval timer not functional Other info: i was running a virtual machine and a game (so laptop might get hotter?) CPU fan: current 5100rpm, high 6600 rpm, low 800rpm Battery health: 70% cPu thermistor (after half an hour the same) 71 C average, 72 C high, 53 C low I upgraded the laptop about a month ago to Windows 8 from Windows 7. Anyone able to help me out? Thanks in advanxe! Regards, Ben

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

July 9th, 2013 08:00

Hi BenVe,

May I know the light on the Power button LED?

If the computer is not posting, refer the following link which has troubleshooting steps to isolate the issue:

http://bit.ly/1aVMogc

Check if you have run the same diagnostics using the link below:

http://dell.to/17lIgpm

Awaiting your response!

3 Posts

July 15th, 2013 10:00

Hi,

The light is saying that the laptop is 100% charged and cable-connected.

The computer didn't post because i believe it's the temperature of the laptop that was still too high. Everytime my laptop crashes now (usually when running heavy software and combined with graphic card usage) i have to wait for about 10-15 minutes, when it's cooled down i can perfectly boot it up again.

The diagnostics after 10 minutes say the laptop is about 75-80 degrees. The only problem i found was just the timer interval as stated in my first post.

Regards

No Events found!