Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 8th, 2012 14:00

Alienware M15x not booting up (Showing no signs of power)

My computer is not showing any signs of power (alien head has no lights) even though I have full battery life and my power adapter is functional.
I do not know exactly what the problem is but I have a theory as to why my computer isn't working.
I had my lid closed on my computer when I woke up two days ago; the computer was working just fine. I got up and opened the lid on the laptop taking it out of sleep/ hibernate mode and it came to the User Log In screen. I left the computer at this screen for maybe 5-10 minutes then came back to find that it was not showing any signs of power almost as if it were off. I looked at the start button and it did not have any lights on and was unresponsive when I pressed it. 
What I think happened here is that after waiting for a while it tried to enter sleep mode again but had an error and now the computer will not respond because it still thinks it is in sleep mode (or at least attempting to go into sleep mode). I went through the process of holding the power button for a minute to get rid of all excess energy in the system just like they had told me to do the first time I called tech support but nothing worked. 

I have already had this problem with my Alienware M15x once and sent it in to be fixed. It came back 2 weeks later fully functional and the problem was "fixed". It would seem that they either did not fully fix the problem or that it is a problem with something other than what they had fixed. It is not a problem with my adapter or battery.

I would like to know if anyone else has had this same problem with their M15x or not because it is beginning to become a real pain; mostly due to the fact that it has done this in the most inconvenient of times. I would also like some help from those of you that have fixed this problem by yourself without voiding any warranties because I would rather not have to go through the system of sending it in and waiting a few weeks for it to return.

Two smaller problems:

1. When I boot up my computer it shows the windows 7 log in menu instead of the custom alienware one. This isn't important but I did really like that log in screen.

2. Skype will not work on my computer. Every time that I try running it, all of my computer's windows will freeze up and I have to reboot my computer then uninstall skype. I have re-installed it about 50 times in 50 different ways and none help. If anyone else had this problem and fixed it, I would like some help.

1 Message

October 27th, 2012 00:00

i have had this problem where my computer does not boot. i thought the same thing about sleep mode because this happened to me after moving it from one house to another and having closed the lid. i have not fixed this problem however and have also had issues with my computer not charging unless the ac adapter was being moved around while plugged in, however i feel that is another issue in itself and that excessive transportation and use had somehow loosened the spot within the computer that the charger connects to preventing it from receiving power from the charger.

unfortunately i think i voided my warranty anyway so sending it back and having some magic happen may be out of the question for me but i am hoping to find out if there are any solutions i can either do myself or send to someone to have done. I hope my computer has not been compromised although that seems unlikely. I feel that this may not be a simple fix for the computer is now completely non-responsive, or my hard drive may just need to be placed in another model and any hardware issues should be resolved.

on another note about the smaller problems you mentioned, as for number 1 i believe that the alienware software has been uninstalled through one repair process or another and all you should have to do is use the boot disk that may have come with the computer or you can go on to the alienware web site and download the software from that. as for the second problem skype worked fine on my computer and i would be using it all the time if it wasn't fore the non-responsive issue.

i hope that helped you get your load screen back and i hope we both find fixed for our other issues.

No Events found!