Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

November 5th, 2010 22:00

Alienware M15x performance drop...AGAIN!

Sadly it's not just stealth mode this time. One day I turned on my laptop, ran a game, only to find I had a rather large 20fps drop. I tested it across all games and ended up with similar results.

Is this is a common problem?

27 Posts

November 6th, 2010 04:00

Hi,

What BIOS version are you running? A08 should reduce this throttling issue.

Cobbie

November 6th, 2010 06:00

Embarrassingly, I have no idea what that even is. :/

27 Posts

November 7th, 2010 01:00

Need to go to the Dell support page and search for drivers using your service tag. This should list all the drivers for your Laptop, including the current BIOS version. My M15x is only 6 months old and was delivered with the A06 BIOS version, current version is A08 and is designed to address the throttling issue experienced when using the higher end CPU and GPU. You will need to use a USB stick (2G max size) to complete the update.

The BIOS is basically the software loaded onto the motherboard chips and controls the basic settings such as RAM voltages and FSB speeds. Its not difficult to update and the instructions are very good. If you have made any changes to the BIOS setup since delivery then the BIOS update will undo these, i decided to take a picture of each BIOS setting screen before updating as a reference. The BIOS is critical for the system to operate, if it becomes corrupt during an update then the computer probably wont even start up. If you have any important work stored on the HDD then back this up first in case you experience an issue during update and end up returning the laptop for repair.

Oh, use a clean USB stick, in fact i think the stick is cleared during the update procedure. Can't remember so i would start with a formatted USB.

Have you installed any new software packages recently that may have slowed down the system performance. I used to find that packages like Norton and Mcafee were to invasive and would kill performance.

Cobbie

November 9th, 2010 11:00

Seems my laptop has stepped back up again in terms of performance. How do I simply check my current BIOS version? Thank you for your explanation on how to update it. I will be returning to this thread should I need to update.

Regards,

JimmyJ.

No Events found!