Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 25th, 2014 11:00

Alienware M17 Killer Wireless N1202 Connection dropping

Hey guys and gals, I'm here to ask about a problem I've seen A LOT of people have with this particular wireless card/laptop. I recently bought the M17 and the only problem I've had with it is the the Killer Wireless N1202 card drops my connection randomly and reconnects.
I've been "dealing" with it for a few days now but the random drops during browser time, videos, and games is really starting to break my nerves.

So far, I've checked that the firmware and etc is up to date in my laptop. Tried disabling the Killer Wireless Manager. Flicked some power options to performance. Nothing seems to work.
Anyone have a definite fix o the issue?????
Thanks!

61 Posts

May 29th, 2014 17:00

then I think the most important thing to do is go into device manager, right-click the wireless adapter and select uninstall.

Reboot.

Windows will see it and reinstall it. It should work now. Give it a shot.

Whether or not you use the Killer-N driver probably doesn't really matter.

1.8K Posts

May 27th, 2014 14:00

Hi!

Re-install the Wireless driver as explained here and make sure you have the latest BIOS. If issue persists, try the troubleshooting steps on this article.

Let me know how it goes! 

May 27th, 2014 17:00

Does this work in a permanent way or do I have to do it over and over again?

61 Posts

I've seen this too. I just delete/uninstall from device manager and reboot.

I've also had luck using the following from a CMD prompt:

netsh wlan delete profile *

Then re-add your wi-fi network.

61 Posts

Are you on Windows 8?

I think this had to do with Windows 8 roaming profiles, but I believe it's since been fixed.

Try:

netsh wlan show profiles

and see if you see any funny entries there. That's what used to keep happening to me. It's stopped though. It does not hurt to delete them and re-connect.

Also, I do not use the Killer-N driver. I don't know if there is a benefit to it but I had so many problems earlier on (might not have been the driver's fault) that I just gave up on it.

May 27th, 2014 18:00

I have Windows 8, yes. There were no "funny profiles" in the listing and I tried deleting and reconnecting. It still disconnects.
How do you NOT use the Killer N driver? You have the Killer N1202 right?

1.8K Posts

May 29th, 2014 17:00

Did you try re-installing the wireless driver, updating the BIOS and checking for interference as explained on the article above?

May 29th, 2014 19:00

Funny story. I actually fixed the issue yesterday.
Seems my recent firmware update for my router didn't apply correctly. Reset all of that and even found out about configuring the 5ghz network.
By now, it's 24hours of smooth sailing. Thanks guys!

No Events found!