Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 15th, 2013 21:00

Alienware M17x-R1, AC adapter issue

When ever I turn on my computer it says this ac adapter is not the one that was shipped. Cant identify the ac adapter. And when I actually go into the bios the label where it says ac adapter doesn't say 240 watts. I know I'm using the right adapter but it keeps saying that. Also I don't get half the performance I'm supposed to get when I play games because my graphics card isn't getting enough power. Also when the computer boots up it says consider replacing your battery. And once in a while it says battery not detected. I don't know if my ac adapter is broken or my battery is too old. I heard that dells battery packs die when there old. What I'm saying is that I'm not getting performance I'm supposed to. And I can only use the computer when it's plugged in.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 16th, 2013 05:00

problems with my laptops,

* Turn off the laptop
* Unplug the AC adapter from the laptop and the wall power outlet
* Remove the battery from the laptop
* Hold the laptop power button in for 30 seconds
* Reinsert the battery
* Plug the AC adapter into the wall power outlet
* Plug the AC adapter into the system
* Power the laptop on
* Press F2 to enter the BIOS
* Go to the Power section. The AC Adapter Rating is listed. What does yours show?
* Unplug the AC Adapter. Wait 10 seconds
* Reconnect the AC Adapter to the system. The AC Adapter Rating is listed. What does yours show?
* If applicable, turn off the Integrated Graphic in Advanced- Graphic Setting (this would have been enabled due to low power)
* Press F10 to Save changes and boot the system to Windows
* Once back into Windows, does it show on the taskbar that it is charging?

March 16th, 2013 07:00

Ive done that method before and sure enough it doesnt work. Also I enabled hybrid. But when you said unplug the ac adapter and wait 10 seconds I have no Ide.My computer will probably shuttdown automatically. And my bios is up to date

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 18th, 2013 06:00

Do all the steps as I listed. Report back what happens.

March 18th, 2013 11:00

I did do everything that was listed and it doesn't work.

March 19th, 2013 16:00

Why does it say that my ac adapter is the wrong one and it says the battery may not charge? Even though I am positive the charger is the right one. Does that mean I have to replace my ac adapter too?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 20th, 2013 06:00

What is the 5 digit Dell part number on the AC adapter? It should be one of these:
J938H 240w/210w Flextronics AC adapter
J211H 240w/210w Delta AC adapter

March 20th, 2013 15:00

But do you actually think it's the ac adapters problem?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 21st, 2013 04:00

Try this. Power off. REMOVE the battery from the system. Connect the AC adapter. Power on. If yes, enter the Bios. Go to the Power section. The AC Adapter Rating is listed. What does yours show?

March 21st, 2013 15:00

I did and it says nothing like always. Maybe I should just trade it in on bestbuy, do you know how much they give you for one? I always did want to build my own Pc rig. The thing is I want my alienware fixed for gaming but I dont know if my graphics card has a problem or my ac adapter does.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 22nd, 2013 07:00

I do not know their policies.

March 22nd, 2013 18:00

Anyway I'm guessing you're positive that the battery and the ac adapter is the problem. Or maybe its the DC jack. The bios says that I'm not using the right adapter. And I am 100% positive that the battery is dead.

1 Message

April 29th, 2013 12:00

hi im having the same issues . i bougth delta adapter it used o have flextronic one but it broke up , and i dont  found it . my question is do i have to buy the new one which is y044j and it should work as the flextronic or i have to find the old one which is flextronic

1 Message

September 23rd, 2013 18:00

Hi, I had the exact same problem and tried everything that was suggested to me. I gave up and just bought a new adapter... and it worked the second I plugged it in. Adapters are not suppose to last long (high powered computers like Alienware overheat all hardware inside and attached to it). To be safe, just buy a new one every year or two for the life of your computer.

No Events found!