HellzHavoc
1 Nickel

Re: Alienware M17x R4(7970m) Discrete Graphics Not Detected Upon First Boot

Any help would be nice.

0 Kudos

Hi HellzHavoc,

You may provide the service tag of the computer and the name as it appears on the account via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation) so that I can check the further course of action.

Thanks & Regards,
Appu S
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell’s Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Orders & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA, India. For Dell Support Videos, click Here.

0 Kudos
Irrintra
1 Copper

I had a similar issue; after I reseated the discrete graphics card, it was finally detected, and I was able to install drivers and have things up and running as they should be. If you want to try this fix, I recommend you consult your model's service manual, keep track of the parts as you disassemble, ensure you and your laptop are grounded, etc. I was hesitant to try this even though my laptop was out of warranty, but it's definitely worth a try.

Here's what I have:

• Alienware M17x R3 default build
  • Windows 7 Home Premium
  • AMD Radeon 6870M
  • Intel Integrated Graphics
  • Drivers from the Alienware Resources CD
  • Anti-static wrist strap + metal object for grounding

I've previously tried:

• Rebooting
  • Reinstalling and updating drivers
  • Reinstalling Windows from the Alienware Windows DVD
  • Reinstalling Windows from a backup I made
0 Kudos

Hi HellzHavoc,

Thank you for providing the information; appreciate it. Are you comfortable re-seating the graphics card of the computer? If yes, would suggest you to re-seat it and check if you experience the same issue. Please refer to the Service Manual.

Let me know the findings.

Thanks & Regards,
Appu S
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell’s Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Orders & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA, India. For Dell Support Videos, click Here.

0 Kudos
HellzHavoc
1 Nickel

What do you mean by re-seating it? Do you mean take out the entire GPU and put it back in? If so, then it still doesn't resolve the issue.

0 Kudos

Hi HellzHavoc,

I have sent you a private message. Awaiting your response.

Thanks & Regards,
Appu S
#iworkfordell

0 Kudos

Hi HellzHavoc,

Glad we could help by fixing your issue. In case of a similar situation in future, feel free to reach out to us on Support Site for any help.

Thanks & Regards,
Appu S
#iworkfordell

0 Kudos