DrThompson
1 Nickel

RE: Alienware M17x R4 once again blackscreen

No luck 😞 Tried it with 314.22, played Battlefield 4 for around 2-3 hours and the screen went black... and another thing I noticed, if I turn the computer on right after the black screen, it will freeze at windows log in... (again doesnt happen with intelHD graphics)
0 Kudos
DrThompson
1 Nickel

dmpotter1361, so as a guy with a lot of dells.. whatd you say about it?
0 Kudos

Man, I wish you were a neighbor, I would let you borrow my video card to test with. Maybe a store near buy allows open box returns and actually sells M graphic cards?

~~~~^~~^~~\o/~~~ Watch for sharks!

Not a dell rep, just a guy with a lot of Dell(s)

Current:

• Alienware M17X R3
  • Inspiron One 2320
  • Inspiron 1545 (4)
  • XPS M1730
  • Alienware M14x R2 (2)
  • XPS 12 9Q23
  • Dell Venue 8 Pro (2)

In Closet:

• Dimension 8400
  • Inspiron 530
  • Inspiron 530s (2)
  • Inspiron 1420
  • XPS 600
  • XPS/Dimension XPS

0 Kudos
DrThompson
1 Nickel

Nah dude, I live in small village of the damned in Russia.. There are no shops selling M cards here, open box returns or not 😞 The only way is to order it overseas... Still can't decide if I should go for it...
0 Kudos
Highlighted

ya I would just hate to see you spend that kind of money and then discover it was an underlying problem. I guess you can check the return policy of where you order from. Can always claim you ordered a model not compatible with your system if it doesn't work.

~~~~^~~^~~\o/~~~ Watch for sharks!

Not a dell rep, just a guy with a lot of Dell(s)

Current:

• Alienware M17X R3
  • Inspiron One 2320
  • Inspiron 1545 (4)
  • XPS M1730
  • Alienware M14x R2 (2)
  • XPS 12 9Q23
  • Dell Venue 8 Pro (2)

In Closet:

• Dimension 8400
  • Inspiron 530
  • Inspiron 530s (2)
  • Inspiron 1420
  • XPS 600
  • XPS/Dimension XPS

0 Kudos
AndrewSi
4 Tellurium

DrThompson - You may have to bite the bullet and purchase a new GPU.

Do you have any relatives in HK you can send it to for repair.

Yes, your right, there are some pretty average stories on here concerning Russian Dell techs - but in saying that, its only a GPU, how difficult can it really be to swap a GPU on a M17xR4 (Usually takes me about 1 minute, or 10 minutes in I carefully re-position all the thermal tape with tweezers)

Maybe if you call Russian tech support and try to direct them towards replacing your GPU, X-bracket and heatsink (Dont forget that) and make sure they send out those three parts, you can keep an eye on what the Russina tech is doing, you sound like you know whats going on. You may even be able to talk them into sending you the parts in the mail, if the phone tech thinks your experienced enough then they don't mind posting some thing, I've have quite a few things posted to me for myself to replace, search this forum and find some horror stories about bad russian support, use those to talk the phone tech into posting the replacement parts to you.....

I was always under the impression that Dell warranty were transferable internationally, call Russian tech support and ask if there are any charges associated with a transfer....

0 Kudos
DrThompson
1 Nickel

Yeah, I'm ready for it, though it wouldn't be nice if it doesn't help. I have relatives in HK, but I'm not sure if they have physical dell support there, because when I asked a computer tech. from my dad's work to look for a card, he said there are none, have to order it from Ebay or something (though he found one used card on sale, but we're not looking into that :)) If its' all as simple as just replacing the GPU, I don't think I need a technician to do that, do I? I mean is it just plug n play, or do I have to set something up in bios or something? I've taken it out before while re-pasting and changing thermal pads, feel comfortable with that. Also can I just order it from any online store, or do I have to get it from dell with the new heat sink for my model? As for the warranty, it ran out anyway, and I don't think I'm going to renew it...
0 Kudos