Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 12th, 2013 18:00

Alienware M17x R4 once again blackscreen

Hi Everyone!)

I know there were lots of post describing this, a lot of people seem to have the same problem, but I couldn't find a fix...

I got my Alienware M17x R4 around oct 2012, for a year its' been running great, had no problem whatsoever. However after about a year I started getting blackscreens. I play a game, any game, (it runs just fine on high setttings) and after some time the screen goes black (it seems the more graphically intense the game is the less time I spend playing) nothing is responsive, so I have to shut it down using the power button. Sometimes it does that after the laptop is on for a while (like 3-4 hours).

I'm pretty sure it's a GPU problem, because when I switch to Intel HD graphics I get no blackscreens.... The GPU that seems to have probs is Nvidia GeForce GTX 675M. I've checked the temps while playing, sometimes like right before it goes blackscreen, they seem fine: GPU around 68, CPU 69, so I dont think its' an overheating issue (though the fans go really loud around the time the blackscreen happens).

I've taken a good care of it, cleaned the dust from time to time, the laptop was on a cooling pad, did repasting (lowered the temps by a little) and checked the temps regularly, I don't think it bothered me even once.

So now I'm almost out of hope, there are no dell tech supps around where I live (Russia) and the laptop was bought in HK, so I can't even use the tech support they offer on the Dell website (unless i buy the international support thing...) and I don't really feel comfortable giving it to a random tech. Like I I said I've seen posts on the net describing similar problem, but there seems to be no solution, so if anyone knows anything about it, or if there's a chance of a nice dell technic who drops by :D please please plsease tell me! I've been thinking about ordering a new GTX 675M, but then what if its not hardware problem? or what is its not the video card itself?...

Any help would be appritiated!

• 

2.7K Posts

November 14th, 2013 14:00

Hello Dr Thompson!

I will recommend you as well to check the temperatures of the processor, just to make sure is not the one overheating, on this article you will find some programs that will help you.

90 Posts

November 14th, 2013 17:00

I see your talking with a support member, but those temps seem to be within spec, just a little warm.

10 Posts

Hi! Thank you for your reply.) I checked the temperature on the processor as you advised. Idle: 63-67, when playing something like Battlefield 4 goes up all the wat to 79-82. is that normal? And again when I switch to onboard GPU it works just fine, no blackscreens when doing anything no matter for how long, so I don't think it's the CPU

10 Posts

Yeah I thought so too, doesn't seem super high... But a lot of people experience similar problems.. Here's a guy on another forum saying his problem was fixed by replacing a card (though a different card) http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m18x/722234-random-black-screen-death-freeze.html

90 Posts

It really could be a lot of things though. vBIOS, versions, etc.. Unless your in the market for a new card and need an excuse 

Has your warranty ran out?

90 Posts

November 14th, 2013 18:00

ya, I want those guys who pick when warranties expire with me at the race track. They are darn good!

On a serious note though, have you thought about rolling your graphics card drivers to the factory state, download the oldest release for that model from dell? And don't let it auto update to any of NVidia's current releases. Go back in large chunks to, not just a for dotXXX whole major releases like last year's version. I've had problems before where the latest versions just didn't work and my fps suffered for it.

10 Posts

November 14th, 2013 18:00

Haha no, that's not it :) Actually thats one thing I want to be sure of, don't want to buy a new card that wont fix the problem, that will be too costly for me. And yeah, funny thing, like in many other peoples' cases, the problem started appearing exactly at the time warranty ran out lol.

10 Posts

November 14th, 2013 23:00

I tried re-installing the whole system to the factory state, didn't work, that's what makes me think its not a software problem. But I'll give it a try with pre-320.xxx drivers. Ill post later tell you how it goes.

• 

2.7K Posts

November 15th, 2013 07:00

Yes the temperature seems to be fine, please let us know how it goes after you install the other driver.

10 Posts

November 17th, 2013 05:00

No luck :( Tried it with 314.22, played Battlefield 4 for around 2-3 hours and the screen went black... and another thing I noticed, if I turn the computer on right after the black screen, it will freeze at windows log in... (again doesnt happen with intelHD graphics)

10 Posts

November 17th, 2013 07:00

dmpotter1361, so as a guy with a lot of dells.. whatd you say about it?

10 Posts

November 17th, 2013 08:00

Nah dude, I live in small village of the damned in Russia.. There are no shops selling M cards here, open box returns or not :( The only way is to order it overseas... Still can't decide if I should go for it...

90 Posts

November 17th, 2013 08:00

Man, I wish you were a neighbor, I would let you borrow my video card to test with. Maybe a store near buy allows open box returns and actually sells M graphic cards?

90 Posts

November 17th, 2013 09:00

ya I would just hate to see you spend that kind of money and then discover it was an underlying problem. I guess you can check the return policy of where you order from. Can always claim you ordered a model not compatible with your system if it doesn't work.

901 Posts

November 17th, 2013 13:00

DrThompson - You may have to bite the bullet and purchase a new GPU.

Do you have any relatives in HK you can send it to for repair.

Yes, your right, there are some pretty average stories on here concerning Russian Dell techs - but in saying that, its only a GPU, how difficult can it really be to swap a GPU on a M17xR4 (Usually takes me about 1 minute, or 10 minutes in I carefully re-position all the thermal tape with tweezers)

Maybe if you call Russian tech support and try to direct them towards replacing your GPU, X-bracket and heatsink (Dont forget that) and make sure they send out those three parts, you can keep an eye on what the Russina tech is doing, you sound like you know whats going on. You may even be able to talk them into sending you the parts in the mail, if the phone tech thinks your experienced enough then they don't mind posting some thing, I've have quite a few things posted to me for myself to replace, search this forum and find some horror stories about bad russian support, use those to talk the phone tech into posting the replacement parts to you.....

I was always under the impression that Dell warranty were transferable internationally, call Russian tech support and ask if there are any charges associated with a transfer....

No Events found!