Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 11th, 2012 23:00

Alienware M17x - Red pixels all over screen

Hi,

I have an Alienware M17x R3 bought in May 2010. About a few months ago, it started to show red pixels all over the screen. Initially, I could shift the screen a little to get rid of it. However, no matter how I shift the screen around, the red pixels stay on the screen. It is affecting all the other colors on the screen as well. Please advise how to fix it.

Thanks! Any help will be much appreciated!

2.6K Posts

October 12th, 2012 03:00

Hello Tanzy,

It seems a problem to be with the LCD,
I would suggest you to run the LCD BIST (Built In Self test) and check if the red pixels appear.
To run the LCD bist follow the steps mentioned below.
-- Shut down the computer.
-- Press D+Power button to initiate the LCD Bist.
-- Check if the red pixels are seen on the test.

Please refer to the link mentioned below for more details.
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?docid=414288#LCD-Display-Pixel-Policy-1
Please write back with results.

4 Posts

October 12th, 2012 14:00

Hi Allan,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried the test and surprisingly the tests went well. I don't see any red pixels on the coloured screens. Once I switch the computer on, the red pixels appear immediately though.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

October 13th, 2012 19:00

tanyz89,

Please connect an external monitor to the laptop VGA port. Do you see the issue on the external monitor?

4 Posts

October 18th, 2012 21:00

Will it work if I connect it via HDMI to a monitor screen/TV?

4 Posts

October 23rd, 2012 08:00

I tried via HDMI cable to a television screen. It appers fine on the TV screen. The red pixels are still on the laptop screen though. Please help. Thanks.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

October 24th, 2012 18:00

It is either a faulty LCD panel or the internal cabling connecting the LCD to the motherboard. If out of warranty, you should get a local technician to reseat the cabling as the first thing to test. They will need the service manual for instructions. If reseating the cable does not fix the issue, replacing the LCD panel would be the next step. I will need to know your service tag number (via private message) to give you part numbers.

207 Posts

May 31st, 2013 10:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with the same or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                                                                        

No Events found!