Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 21st, 2012 07:00

Alienware M17xR2 + win 8

Hi Guys,

I know I am picking this up a little early....

Windows 8 is pretty awesome after you get over the missing start button hurdle.

But I have an issue.

using this driver:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats/Product/alienware-m17x-r2?DriverId=5Y21N&FileId=2731091803&urlProductCode=False

My ST Microelectronics driver says this:

The software for this device has been blocked from starting because it is known to have problems with Windows. Contact the hardware vendor for a new driver. (Code 48)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

It instalsl this:

provider: ST Microelectronics

date: 9/11/2009

driver: 1.8.3.0

from my understanding the ST Micro driver will protect my HDD from shock.

Is there any plans to revise this driver ?

Its the only thing stopping my Win 8 from true happiness.

I know I know... win8 is not supported...

Please check it out guys.

John

1 Message

November 1st, 2012 10:00

Hello, Altair, while this is a late answer for you it might help others.

That is indeed the free fall sensor driver you're missing. I personally advise against installing it not only on Windows 8 but on Windows 7 too as it does cause problems (BSODs) just by moving the laptop a bit.

Being a M17x R2 owner myself, I can assure you that leaving this driver uninstalled won't change your Windows 8 experience on your laptop.

7 Posts

November 19th, 2012 21:00

Hi Katalin,

I would disagree. That driver is designed to protect your computer from shock.  I have it installed in my Win7 and it protects my computer, it has only cause one crash:

One time my mate Matt was very drunk and he did not like the music on youtube and in his distaste he hit the coffee table and the machine BSoD then on reboot ST Micro Drivers created a log file to say Matty should be banned from my apartment.

You should be able to move your laptop about, if this driver is causing BSoD with any movements for you i would suggest contacting Dell and getting the hardware controller replaced for that.

Unfortunately Alienware M17x R2 is not supported by Dell with Win8. So i doubt i will migrate over.

Plus i miss the start button too much.

No Events found!