Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 23rd, 2016 11:00

Alienware M18X

I am well aware of the issues with upgrading to Windows 10 and Alienware laptops, but I feel that those of us who own the M18X should now be able to upgrade. I do not understand why it was only certain systems that were tested. If Dell wish to keep customers then all systems capable of running Windows 10 should be tested.

I feel that if this issue is not resolved then I for one will never buy another Dell system. Every company should keep up to date with future OS expansions and make it possible for all to upgrade. The reason I state this is the M18X is not that old and does support the upgrade, but as we are all aware there is an issue when installing the driver for the GPU's.

I would very much like to see a 'FIX' for this so that those of us with this issue are not left out and do not have to be out of pocket to purchase another product in order to benefit from the upgrade.

26 Posts

October 24th, 2016 06:00

I have the M18X. The reason I posted is I have read that lots of people have been plagued by issues when upgrading to Win 10 on systems not supported. BSOD seems to be a big issue and this is wiping out the LCD. Upgrading seems to be a risk.

1.2K Posts

October 24th, 2016 06:00

what system you referring to the M18X R1 or R2?  I successfully ran windows 10  for a while on my R2  without any issues  at all  for most part windows 8 drivers work fine and you can install windows 7 for some in compatibility mode .... I know its not proper for  it not to be supported officially  and the answer isn't what you want to hear but there are way around to find windows 10 drivers for much every component in the system , just entails a bit of google..

for reference I got a  10   year old (core 2 duo) dell laptop (studio)   running windows 10.. so it was  nothing to make  it  run everything right  and an even older one I'm gonna try later time .

I originally had a Q3630 and 7970 ati dual cards then I upped to  i7 Extreme and 680's then to 980's  so  the  *upgrade path is  there.. just not supported  by dell  big deal..  and  I had no issues with drivers  till the 980's  but event hat was a simple fix thanks to Mr. Fox on another forum and well detailed about  the M18X's

1.2K Posts

October 24th, 2016 07:00

it was an issue specially with NVidia drivers when windows 10 was first released..... I know that part but haven't heard much since.. but honestly never looked into it much since my system failed after 3 years :(  and just replaced it with a X51 R3 ..

M18X is a model.. 2 different versions.. A R1 and an R2 ...   I had the later 3rd gen intel.. were as the R1 is a second gen and older system..

as for longevity I cant speak I ran windows 10 a while actually but my motherboard had failed, but I was running overclocked, higher then is should  have, modded bios, and dual psu.. (again thanks to  other forums) on my M18x R2  but I was strictly gaming and stressed the Beep* out  of  it constantly.. (8-12 hours a day)

the issue is time and money..  and were does it stop..  3 year old  system?  5 year old?  8 year old?  12 year old system? then if your 5 year old system gets it why dosent all 100 models? they built get it that was around that time..  then the say other 4-500 in between till windows 10 was officially supported  .. (example )  I did my research  and still took the chance.. no issues.. but I was running windows 8 on mine to  begin with so drivers were easier to come by as the 8 drivers worked for the most part including  the command center and OSD ...  and left as is making sure the NVidia driver didn't update as it was known to kill video at the time...(randomly)

No Events found!