Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 9th, 2012 06:00

Alienware M18x R1 Heating Issues

Hi, 

I purchased an M18x R1 roughly eight months ago, specs are as follows;

Dual 580M's, 8GB 1600MHZ RAM, 2x 750GB HDD's and an i7 2920XM with factory overclock.

Now, to the issue. I play a lot of games, like a lot, but until recently I was only playing Counter Strike: Source, which has relatively low resource requirements. When playing games in general for either long or short periods of time, my fans hardly spin up at all. In fact the only time i've ever heard my fans really spin up was when i flashed my BIOS to A05, at which point they became very audible and my system cooled immediately. When playing games this instantly becomes a problem because instead of my fans spinning up my entire system heats up immensely and then goes into what i have dubbed low performance mode, my fps dropping from an even 250 to an unacceptable 9. I'm not sure if there is a fault of some sort in my system, though i have my doubts about that because my fans in fact do spin up when i open a BIOS flasher. I would love to hear wether I am correct in thinking that this is the cause of the issue and more importanly wether there is a fix for it. 

Thanks.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

August 9th, 2012 07:00

Have you loaded the GTX580m vbios? http://dell.to/O6DgZ1

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

August 9th, 2012 08:00

Custom Instructions for GTX580M_Vbios_A01.iso:

ISO image of production GTX580M Vbios. Burn image to CD and reboot system. Press F12 to choose CD/DVD drive. When promoted, press Y.  

5 Posts

Hi, I've now gone through everything in AlienFusion and found nothing relating to my fan speeds other than system cooling policy in CPU which as set to active as opposed to passive. Every setting possible in AlienFusion is set to high performance, if that matters.

5 Posts

I do not think I have. I will have to burn the ISO to a disk to flash my vBios, correct?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

I am on my XPS 420 so do not have the Alienware Command Center loaded, but isn't there a way to go in there and set the fans manually to High and then Save that profile?

5 Posts

August 9th, 2012 08:00

Thank you very much for the very quick support. Tomorrow I'll go buy myself a disc to flash the ISO onto. Is there anything else that I would need to install that I may have missed that is relate to fan control and/or CPU/GPU/HDD performance.

No Events found!