Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 10th, 2013 06:00

Alienware MX14 Overheating

Hi, need some advice or ideas on how to not have my laptop melt!!

Had my Alienware laptop for just one year and three months, and suddenly, when gaming it overheats to the point that you almost cannot comfortably touch the keys, and the powerpack is red hot.

I have it on a coolpad, I regularly clean it with compressed air.

The only thing that has changed is that I have moved form the UK to the Netherlands.

I have spent hours checking the internet and trying to contact anyone in Dell Customer service with no joy. was hoping someone out there might have any ideas or advice? Cheers.

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

July 10th, 2013 07:00

Hi Caine77,

I sincerely apologize for the  technical troubles you have experienced with your Dell computer.

I recommend you to remove the battery and disconnect the adapter, press and hold the power button for few seconds and release to drain the flea power .Now put back the battery and connect the adapter and power on the computer and check if the adapter error message pops up.

Also update BIOS on the computer from the below mentioned link:

http://dell.to/1dich6O

• During BIOS update verify that the computer is connected to an AC Adapter.
  • Disconnect any third party peripherals connected to the computer before performing BIOS update.
  • Do not turn off the computer during the BIOS update.
  • Do not restart the computer during the BIOS update.
  • Ensure battery charge is more than 30% during BIOS update.

Note: Plug your computer to a good, working wall jack before you update the BIOS. If you experience a loss of AC power or a significant voltage sag/spike during the BIOS flash, you will either have to buy a new BIOS chip or buy a new motherboard.

Clean Air vents:

1. Check the vents on the computer to see if they are covered with dust and not allowing heat and air to pass through.
  2. Turn off the System
  3. Remove all power sources: Unplug the AC Adapter and Remove the Battery, or Unplug the Desktop Power Cord.
  4. Use a compressed air can to blow the dust out of the vents. Be sure to hold the can at an upright (near 90 degree angle) and hold it 15-20 centimeters (6-8 inches) away from the target.

Hardware Diagnostics Check:

Refer the following link which has steps to run diagnostics on the computer:

http://dell.to/152BK10

Awaiting your response!

2 Intern

• 

835 Posts

July 10th, 2013 14:00

Hi Caine77,

Check the temperatures on your system and check which component is overheating (CPU or Graphics Card), the article below explains how to do that on step 4. 

Alienware Laptops: Computer Overheats, Shuts Down When Running Intensive Applications   

If the system is overheating, re pasting would be a good idea. If you are not tech savy or don't feel comfortable doing this, you can take your system to a computer shop or have someone help you.

No Events found!