Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 14th, 2015 13:00

Alienware System Image discs

Hi all

I've been doing System Images and Recovery DVDs for all of my computers, and I noticed that when I start the System Image and am instructed to insert a blank DVD the first disk I insert never prompts me to format the disk. All of the remaining disks get formatted before anything will download. Has anyone else noticed this? It has happened on both my Dell Studio XPS and my Alienware M14X. Are the first disks automatically formatted as part of the recovery portion of the disk? 

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 14th, 2015 14:00

Hi, 

Can you confirm which program you are using to create the system images and recovery DVDs? I believe its like you said, since its creating an image of your system, it has to automatically format the disk.

August 14th, 2015 14:00

Hi ALIENWARE-RODRIGO

I am just using the Windows Backup and Restore option in the Control Panel settings. I tried to start with creating a System Repair Disc but that wouldn't work - I kept getting an error message that the Windows Repair System couldn't open. I decided to try to create the System Image first, and hope that the option to create a Repair Disc would be offered later.

But again, my only concern is that the very first disc used in the System Image never prompted me to format it. All of the rest have formatted before the program would continue.

August 14th, 2015 15:00

Okay, this is a continuation of the same issue. I completed the System Image and cannot create a System Repair Disc. I get a repeated message that Windows Repair Disk has Stopped Working. I have found info online saying to go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Backup and Recovery\Components\Shell. In that folder right-click the DBROverlayIcon.dll and rename it to DBROverlayIcon.old.  Exit explorer and reboot the system You should now be able to create the Windows Repair Disk". Well, no, since I can't find that folder anywhere on my computer.

Anyone have any ideas or should I just wait until the computer crashes and do a clean factory reset? This really seems like something  Dell should have fixed, or Windows should have patched or something since people have  been complaining about it for at least 2 years.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 17th, 2015 11:00

Hello, 

To better assist you, please confirm which Windows operating system you are using with the computer. When you create an image disk, it normally does not ask to format it because it has to do that automatically to make it a bootable image disk.  

August 17th, 2015 21:00

Hi again ALIENWARE-RODRIGO, and thanks for your assistance. I'm using Windows 7.

I'm no longer concerned about the System Image Discs. I'm going to assume the first disc gets formatted as part of the process, even though the computer prompted me to format the remaining discs.

However, it's my understanding that I need the System Repair Disc in order to properly install the System Image discs, but I can't create a System Repair Disc. I get a repeated message that Windows Repair Disk has Stopped Working.

I'm thinking the System Image route is too much of a pain to worry about at this point. I erased the image discs when I couldn't get the repair disc made and will just do a clean install of Windows and the Alienware DVDs that came with the computer if the computer ever crashes. I'll lose all my settings and files and whatnot, but this is just becoming a major time *** trying to troubleshoot the error message and creating system image discs.

Thanks anyway for your help.

No Events found!