Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 15th, 2012 06:00

Alienware X51 Crashing Help Please/Heating issue?

Hi about a week ago I got my new X51 and at the start I used to get some BSOD however I updated Nvidia drivers and it seemed to solved the problem however now I am getting a different problem, in certain games the pc is crashing and it is not leaving any crash dumps so I don't think its a BSOD, also sometimes when ingame the pc seems to be about to crash but then I get error message saying the Nvidia drivers have recovered and the game continues. If there is anyone else that can help me with this, if theres something that I haven't done it would be really appreciated as I love this PC.

Thank you.

Alberto.

5 Posts

July 15th, 2012 07:00

Sorry for the re-post but i'm just wondering if this could be a heating issue, i'm not sure if these are fine or not and if this is it how could I fix this. 

http://imgur.com/TszK1

5 Posts

July 15th, 2012 18:00

Would really appreciate some support, thanks guys!

96 Posts

July 15th, 2012 20:00

Welcome to the club. In all reality, alot of the issues reported here could be heat and power related. Only thing I can sugegst at this point is to wait for new drivers, or contact Dell technical support... which can take a while by all accounts.

133 Posts

July 15th, 2012 21:00

Is the gpu making a loud noise? An early problem with the x51 was that a cable was touching the gpu fan, so when it starts spinning the fan is being hindered/damaged.

Open up the x51 and check the gpu to make sure no cables are near it.

245 Posts

July 15th, 2012 23:00

use a program lik hwmonitor to monitor and report back your GPU temps.  What bills is suggesting is also a good thing to try.  The GFX card fan getting hindered can cause issues.  Outside of that gfx card vendors are always releasing new drivers to correct gaming issues.

5 Posts

July 16th, 2012 10:00

Thanks for the response guys really appreciate it, this is what I got back from hwmonitor http://imgur.com/IJwWP do you think its too high and a case of overheating, I also get a Orange Screen when it crashes if that helps.

11 Posts

July 17th, 2012 08:00

Go and download Unigene Heaven benchmark from nvidia website, keep hw monitor on and run the benchmark at the same time. After a few minutes, exit the benchmark and post the screenshot of hw monitor again.

245 Posts

July 17th, 2012 08:00

those are good idle temps... but you want to keep an eye on the max value in games... play games a little and then ALT-TAB out to check what the temps get up to...

If they get over 85C or near 90C that could be an heating issue, hence people saying to make sure the video card power cables aren't interfereing with the video card fan.

If not then it could be a video card issue at that point call support 1-800-alienware and they can help troubleshoot more accurately.

1 Message

July 23rd, 2012 20:00

I also get an orange screen of freeze on the image that was playing.  It was normally a result of video replay on full screen mode on my hdmi HD tv, such as playing YouTube streaming video.

1 Message

September 10th, 2014 13:00

I am having Heating issues with my x51 and it is causing it to crash

No Events found!