Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 30th, 2014 21:00

Alienware X51 R1 Not Turning On

Before any issues occurred, everything worked well but my computer was getting dusty (I leave the side panel on for better air flow). I cleaned the computer with a compressed air duster and I replaced the thermal paste on my CPU.

Things I did during the cleaning process:

1. Unplugged and removed the CPU heatsink

2. Remove CPU and replace thermal paste

No other components were touched during the process.

After the cleanup, I turned the computer on and it was beeping (2 short beeps continuously). I looked up the pattern meaning and it was RAM issues. I removed 1 RAM stick and the computer works well. I tried both the RAM slot and RAM stick too, but it only works with 1 RAM stick. After the computer booted up, Windows 8 was saying that I had to reactive (something like that) my Windows 8. After a few updates and restarts, it was gone, but the RAM issue persisted.

I tried to fix the RAM issue by repluggling the CPU heatsink and reinserting the CPU but it only made it worse. Now, I'm unable to turn computer on.

Things I've done to fix power issue:

1. Holding power button for 10 - 15 seconds while disconnected from the AC adapter.

2. Replugging some cables that are related to the power button.

3. Replugging the cable in the power brick.

I would appreciate any response that can help towards resolving this issue. If a moderator needs my Service Tag (warranty expired), I will send it via PM.

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-232

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz Low Profile

1.8K Posts

July 31st, 2014 22:00

Hi,

Power issues are normally related to the power board or motherboard. If the system is out of warranty, you can still call Tech Support and check for out of warranty services or replacement parts. 

11 Posts

August 1st, 2014 19:00

I'm interested why there were suddenly issues with the computer after cleaning the computer.

11 Posts

August 3rd, 2014 23:00

Will I be able to switch my motherboard with the R2 version?

1.8K Posts

August 4th, 2014 15:00

I'm interested why there were suddenly issues with the computer after cleaning the computer.

If any damage was done during the cleaning process, it could've triggered the problem.

Will I be able to switch my motherboard with the R2 version?

We don't recommend it because parts are specific to each model and the hardware components in your computer were built for an X51 R1 Motherboard, not an X51 R2, so we can't guarantee it will work properly.

11 Posts

August 11th, 2014 21:00

I just bought a powerboard and replaced my the old one with the new one and it's still not powering on. We tested the power cable with a voltmeter if any power is going to the powerboard and there is. But it seems that no power is going out of it.

Should I replace my motherboard this time?

No Events found!