Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

November 14th, 2014 08:00

Alienware X51 R2 Asleep with Loud Fan and Won't Wake Up

I've had this X51 R2 as my work computer since May this year.  It's been working great but in the past few months it's been having trouble waking up from sleep.  This is a common problem with this model it seems, and I've tried most of the fixes suggested in this forum.

Yesterday it was even worse,  I came in for the morning to find my computer asleep with the fans running full blast.  My coworkers said it had been doing it all night.  So I tried updating the BIOS yesterday, but I came in today to the same phenomenon.  

I also ran diagnostics on the Dell website yesterday and it said that everything is normal.  Everything else does seem to be working fine, but something is clearly wrong if it's running that hard while in sleep mode.

Any help would be appreciated, just keep in mind I've checked all of the normal posts about X51 R2 not waking up so I've already tried all the most common suggestions and seen the posts people usually get forwarded to.

i7-4770 CPU

Windows 8.1 64 bit

AMD Radeon R9 200

RAM 16 GB

• 

2.7K Posts

November 14th, 2014 15:00

You can try to perform a power drain and as well I will recommend you to update the video card driver, just make sure to uninstall it and then download the latest version you find the NVidia Site.

Let us know if that helps you. 

April 20th, 2016 09:00

I have tried both of these things.  Neither addressed the issue.  I had another random reboot this morning.

34 Posts

April 20th, 2016 10:00

the temps are ok?

April 22nd, 2016 08:00

I compared my temperatures to a coworker's computer who isn't having any issues and they seem to be about the same.  Here's what my temperatures look like:

Temperatures.JPG

No Events found!