Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 29th, 2015 21:00

Alienware X51 R2 Fails to install Windows 10

I had recently bought an Alienware X51 a few weeks back.It had Windows 8.1 on it,and it was working normally before.But I had also reserved a free copy of Windows 10,that was ready to install,so I proceeded.

I did the normal installation processes,and it began installing,starting with the files.However,after 30% of the process was completed,it turned to a black screen.After a while,it rebooted,and there was still a black screen.I had waited 2 hours after the reboot,and still a black screen.My brother had installed Windows 10 on his Toshiba without a problem,but mine just wasn't going to function.

I do have a recovery disk for the Windows 8.1 OS,but I'm not sure whether to use it or not.After a couple of reboots,Auto Repair finally appeared,and it told me I was on Windows 10,so I was sure I was not on 8.1.I decided to continue and once again, a black screen appeared,I waited another hour,and still a black screen.

I was starting to get concerned,as I spent $1000 on this new computer,and I did not want it to go to waste.Hopefully I can get a response so I can fix this problem.

Thanks again

Spikyhat335

3 Posts

August 11th, 2015 15:00

Key windows + key P 3 times.  It works 100% just Choose a presentation display mode. Every time you hit the win+P it change the display mode.

51 Posts

August 11th, 2015 16:00

Just an added note, if you are using discrete graphics, after doing the Win+P to get to the screen from the HDMI mirrored to your discrete graphics, you have to go into the display settings and change the "Multiple Displays Option" to "Show Only 1" if you want to use the full screen resolution for your monitor. Also, if you are using something like GoToMyPC or some remote login software, the unattached HDMI screen floating by your main screen is a major annoyance, and it fixes that as well.

1 Message

August 17th, 2015 08:00

I had the same issue as well. Unfortunately I didn't know it was a graphic controller issue so I needed to go through the rescue process (this also refused to work until I went into the BIOS and set the DVD as the primary boot device).

I'm now back on win 8.1.

I do like the Windows Key, P 3X solution, but I wonder if this would make it more clean:

1) Could you go into the BIOS, and disable the on-board graphics controller (if it even allows this), and then install Windows 10?

If the on-board can be disabled, I would think the Win 10 upgrade would then proceed without a hitch.

Opinions if this is possible?

3 Posts

August 17th, 2015 16:00

Maybe it can work, or maybe the latest  upgrades from Nvidia can fix the problem I got 3 updates since win 10 instal. But the Win K+3P use the same instalation proccess so it s no more clean one than other, you only change the screen. 

No Events found!