Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

October 7th, 2016 15:00

Alienware X51 R2 Upgrade

Hello all.  I want to update my sons Alienware X51 R2 Graphics card.  It's currently running a NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 745 with 4GB DDR3 and the case only has a Alienware 240 Watt Power Supply.

I know that greatly reduces my options but was hoping to get the best available for this.  I am not opposed to upgrading the power supply if that is possible to increase my options but was hoping I get the possibilities for both.

Thank you!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

October 10th, 2016 11:00

Hi,

This are the validated cards for this model:

With the 240W PSU:

nVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 645 (Standard)
nVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 660
nVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 745
nVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 750 Ti
AMD Radeon™ R9 270
nVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 950

With the 330W PSU:

nVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 760 Ti
nVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 960
nVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 970 (mini)
AMD Radeon™ R9 270x
AMD Radeon™ R9 370x

Let me know if you need something else!

8 Posts

October 27th, 2016 13:00

Hi.  Yes.  Can you answer a couple more questions?

1.  Can I use the Alienware Extender?  If so, does it come with a graphics care is that in addition to this:  www.dell.com/.../alienware-graphics-amplifier

2.  Also, can I simply replace the power brick with the 330W version to open up my possible cards to select from as you posted above?

3.  Last but not least, does Dell carry any of these cards?  I have found that some of the generic descriptions you posted above apply to several models on the site and it sounds like not all of them will fit in this case.

42 Posts

October 28th, 2016 11:00

I replaced my 180W with 330W, which is nothing more than a new cord and no internal changes were needed. I would also go to amazon.com to get the best price. My CPU is i3-6100 2x core, so I chose only to upgrade within the box, using a GTX 1060  6 GB superclocked single fan version VR ready. I do not think its been validated yet, but can run with 120W, and will fit easily in the box with no issues. Seem like the best card for my PSU and PCU limitations. I want to say the length can not be no more than 9.5 inches. I've had no issues so far with it, but if I had a bigger CPU, say the i7 series, would think about the Alienware AMP, and no card comes with it, you might be able to buy one with it installed for more money, but that would take all the fun out of upgrading. That's my opinion. The only issue I had with it, is the card length interferes with the clip that somewhat supports its weight, Its not much of a clip and the PC runs fine without it, but I added a piece of plastic to the plastic clip so it can support it like its suppose to. You can see the clip in videos of upgrading the card online. The power plug in is at the edge of GPU and the frames clip starts where that begins, so have to push clip out and add to clip to hold in place, again I think the clip is for heavier version GPUs, but to be safe added a piece to support GPU.

October 31st, 2016 09:00

Hi.  Yes.  Can you answer a couple more questions?

1.  Can I use the Alienware Extender?  If so, does it come with a graphics care is that in addition to this:  www.dell.com/.../alienware-graphics-amplifier

2.  Also, can I simply replace the power brick with the 330W version to open up my possible cards to select from as you posted above?

3.  Last but not least, does Dell carry any of these cards?  I have found that some of the generic descriptions you posted above apply to several models on the site and it sounds like not all of them will fit in this case.

1. That's not compatible with the X51 R2 unfortunately.

2. As simple as that, yes.

3. We do have some of those for sale. You could try contacting our sales team or checking our online stock at dell.com.

8 Posts

November 14th, 2016 20:00

Also, did you say just a cord?  Not this?

www.dell.com/.../332-1432

8 Posts

November 14th, 2016 20:00

1.2K Posts

November 15th, 2016 06:00

I wouldn't recommend any card that has dual fans like you posted .. the x51 is limited on air flow as it is and exhausting that into the case would  cause some heating issues..

Any card you get needs to be a reference blower to exhaust out back of case for good airflow .. I dropped  a 1070gtx in my r3 and I tell yea she has some kick ... but it was an overpriced founders edition to kick air out the back.

8 Posts

November 15th, 2016 10:00

OK, what about the 330W Cord?  Is it simply a cord or do I have to buy the entire brick too?  The only one I found is $150 dollars which seems ridiculous.

1.2K Posts

November 15th, 2016 11:00

need the brick...  the brick*  is the adaptor  ..  150 bucks aint bad really...  got me 200   year and  half or so ago when I had my M18x R2 and made a dual PSU setup  for it for more power..

No Events found!