Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

February 3rd, 2016 13:00

Alienware X51 R3 Factory Reset

Hi, I want to wipe my ssd drive and reinstall Windows, but my Alienware X51 R3 didn't ship along a USB recovery drive, only the resource DVD (funny, since the machine does not have a dvd drive). 

I've seen there is a recovery partition but I wonder what happens if my drive fails in the future. I must have an option to recover my OS from the outside. I tried installing AlienRespawn but it seems it does not support R3 version yet and it fails when trying to create a USB recovery drive.

Any advice on this?

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

February 3rd, 2016 15:00

Hi, 

You can use Dell Backup and Recovery to create a backup of your data. Usually, you get the option to choose which type of recovery media you want when configuring your order. You could also use an external optical disk drive to reinstall Windows using the disk that you received. 

14 Posts

February 4th, 2016 01:00

Hi, 

Dell Backup System do not support the R3 version yet (you can see it in that link yoy pasted), as I said, and fails to create a recovery drive. And I did not receive a backup disc, only the "Resource DVD", that's why I was making this question in the first place. Is this an error? Can Dell send me a Windows 10 backup CD?

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

February 4th, 2016 09:00

Hi,

You have to select the Windows recovery media and add it to your order when configuring the order, otherwise it will not be sent. How exactly does it fail to create a recovery drive? What is the error message?

14 Posts

February 4th, 2016 12:00

My machine was sent in sustitution of a faulty X51 R2, and the did not send any Recovery media.

The backup utility shows the following error while installing (translating from spanish): "Alienrespawn could not be installed because your hard drive does not have a recovery backup factory image".

Despite the error, it keeps installing to the end, but then it takes about 10 minutes to open. Then, when I select "Create factory recovery media", a message asks me to "Rebuild my environment recovery". If I click yes, I see this:

Preparing hard drive...OK

Preparing recovery environment...Error

An error ocurred during the installation process. AlienRespawn will be uninstalled now.

And it tries to uninstall the software.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

February 5th, 2016 10:00

Hi, 

Did you receive the Windows recovery media with your first system? It should also work with this system. 

14 Posts

February 5th, 2016 17:00

Yes, but they took it with the old system. Furthermore, I have no cd drive nor I want to buy one.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

February 8th, 2016 09:00

Hi, 

Send me your Service Tag in a PM so we can review the case. 

No Events found!