Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 3rd, 2014 02:00

Alienware X51 Shutdown

Good day all,
I have just bought an Alienware X51 R2 , but i am experiences a very annoing issue, i'll try to explain.

Since i bought it, so , without installing anything, the system crashes while i' m watching something in streaming or while i am playing for example on Fifa 15.

With "Crash" i mean that it seems that the power has been removed, cause i see no warning message, no error message, nothing, it just shut itself down.

I don't think that it is a power issue because if i turn it on again immediatly , it works properly.

The issue seems something with the VGA ( It is an Ati R9 270 - 2GB)

This is a list of what i have tried to do:
- System restore to factory version.
- Updated VGA drivers.
- Make all the tests with  "alienware Autopsy", no problems, everything passed.
- Updated soundcard driver.- Performed a complete virus scan with Avast.
- Updated Windows with all the necessary windows update.

I have "touched" the computer after every shutdown and it doesn't burn , in fact fans are working properly . The computer has a lot of space above it so i don't think that the temperature can be the trouble.

As i said, the computer is an Alienware X51, Disk:1TB 6 gb/s, ram: 16GB DDR5, Windows 8.1
Let me know if this is a known issue or at least give me some suggestion about how to proceed

Sorry for my bad english :)

Thank you all
Andrea

27 Posts

October 9th, 2014 13:00

If I was in your situation, I wouldn't be on this forum, instead I would phone up Dell customer support and explain the issue. They either should replace your set-up, or offer a 330w psu, it sounds like the set-up you've got doesn't function with the 220w psu.

A brand new X51 from Dell should not cut out under load when playing games.   It's either faulty or incorrectly spec'ed.

10 Posts

October 10th, 2014 02:00

Well finally, i found the issue.

The VGA fan is broken/damaged.

So the vga is overheating and the pc crashes.
I will send back the pc and Dell will refund me.

:(

1 Message

October 24th, 2014 20:00

I have the same problem,
How much time passes before the pc shuts down?
How often goes out in the day?

in win 8 I have no problem, only if I upgrade to win 8.1

No Events found!