Highlighted
VincentA1
1 Nickel

Alienware X51 USB 3.0 ports run at 2.1/2.0 speed

Alienware X51 R1

Windows 7 64-bit

I have 2 USB 3.0 ports on the back of my desktop but when I plug my USB 3.0 External HDD into one of them, it runs at USB 2.1 speed. When I plug it in, the USB 3.0 Monitor shows a notification on the task bar saying: "This device can perform faster. This USB Mass Storage Device can transfer information faster if you... I opened USBDeview and looked at the USB version of my External HDD and it is showing USB 2.1. I've already analyzed my system for updates and my drivers are all updated.

24 Replies
8 Platinum

RE: Alienware X51 USB 3.0 ports run at 2.1/2.0 speed

Moving this thread to the Alienware Owners Club Forum.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos

Try upgrading the FW -

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&cs=19&docid=439267

Alienware X51 R1 i7 2600 ❖ 16GB ❖ 512GB SSD ❖ EVGA GTX 970 SC ❖ Win 10 Pro

0 Kudos
VincentA1
1 Nickel

It still says 2.1 for speed in USBDeview and the notification still pops up when I plugged it in.

0 Kudos

Hello VincentA! 

Have you tried different devices 3.0 on that port, to check if it’s the external hdd or if it’s the port the one that is giving you the issue?

Alienware-Milena
Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
VincentA1
1 Nickel

I don't have any other USB 3.0 devices, I could have tried if I had one.

0 Kudos

Have you test the external hdd in another computer to check if you facing the same problem?

As a work around you can uninstall the 3.0 driver and download the latest version from www.support.dell.com

Alienware-Milena
Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
VincentA1
1 Nickel

I haven't tested the external HDD in another computer because I don't have any other computer that has USB 3.0 ports on them. I uninstalled the 3.0 driver and installed the latest version and the same thing pops up.

0 Kudos
Taomyn
3 Silver

Are you definitely using a USB 3.0 cable? They are different, but you can use a 2.0 cable in a 3.0 device which would cause what you're seeing.

Also are you absolutely sure you're connecting to one of the blue 3.0 ports, as I never see this message unless I accidentally plug my 3.0 USB stick into the wrong one.

0 Kudos
VincentA1
1 Nickel

I'm definitely using a USB 3.0 cable and plugging it in to a USB 3.0 port. This is my USB 3.0 ports and this is my USB 3.0 External HDD. My external HDD is a FreeAgent GoFlex Drive 1 TB and with a USB 3.0 Upgrade Cable. Here are some info in USBDeview if it helps.

0 Kudos