Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 5th, 2013 18:00

Alienware X51 does not detect USB 3.0 Raid drive after power down.

I have a Vantec NexStar RAID (HR4X) attached to my Alienware X51 via the USB 3.0 port.  Whenever I power down the system and power it back up, the RAID drive is not detected.  I have to power down the RAID drive itself and repower it back on for the system to detect it again. This problem does not occur if I just reboot the system.  It only happens when I power down the system and restart it again.

I have the latest drivers for both the USB port (Renesas V3-0-23-0), the chipset, and the BIOS.   Also, this problem does not happen if I connect the unit to USB 2.0 ports.

I have had problem with other USB 3.0 devices (usually external hard drives from various manufactures).  After a bunch of troubleshooting sessions with different tech supports, they all point to something wrong with my USB 3.0 port (which I would tend to agree, since the problems do not occur on USB 2 ports, and do not occur with other machines.  Only the USB 3 ports on this machine).

I called Alienware Tech Support and after a bunch of troubleshooting and search, the Support guy told me that this is due to a well known problem of the USB 3.0 ports that are built into Intel Motherboards, and is specific to power down. He said Intel is well aware of this issue and is working on a fix, but there is no ETA.  So basically he can't help me.

I did a bunch of search on the web, and found no such issues reported.  There were various issues reported on device not detected and blue screen of death, but all seems to say that the latest driver update (the one above) fixed it. 

Can someone confirm that this is indeed a well-known outstanding issue that Intel is working on? Perhaps provide a link to the information so that I can read and confirm that it's the same problem?  I am concerned that there is actually something wrong with my system and is not being addressed due to false hope of "Intel is working on it".

• 

2.7K Posts

August 6th, 2013 08:00

Hello eiy!

We heard about an issue with the USB 3.0 On laptops and we found a solution following the steps on this article we haven’t tested on desktops but you could test it.

4 Posts

August 7th, 2013 00:00

Hi Milena,

Thank you for responding.  However, I don't think that solution applies to my system.  When I tried to install the Intel driver it tells me that my system does not meet the requirement to install the driver.  I think it's for a different chipset than what my system has.

• 

2.7K Posts

August 7th, 2013 08:00

Could you send me your service tag on a pm so we can check for more solutions for your problem.

4 Posts

August 7th, 2013 13:00

Hi Milena,

How do I PM you?  Do I need to add you as a friend first?

4 Posts

August 8th, 2013 14:00

Hi Milena?  I'm trying to send you my service tag info but can't figure out how to send you private messages.  Thanks.

• 

2.7K Posts

August 8th, 2013 15:00

I sent you a message

1 Message

August 14th, 2013 20:00

I am having similar issue with my new Alienware 14 detecting my external harddisk (supporting USB 3.0).

Desperately browsing and reading through some forums, I came across a "solution" which is to switch off power management for USB ports. It sort of a bit "improvement", it is the first time I can see my harddisk light indicator lights up for a short moment! Somehow, intuitively, I manage to find a way to make my external harddisk to be fully functional (detected by my Alienware 14) by very slowly inserting the USB plug into the USB port. I have to do this everytime whenever I shutdown and restart the laptop. Another down point is the transfer rate is the same if I connect my harddisk to my existing old desktop USB 2.0 port. :(

Now due to this inconvenience, I transferred most of my frequently used stuff to my laptop instead of residing them on my external harddisk which i previously did.

1 Message

December 10th, 2013 22:00

I have a new Optiplex 9020 and have a similar problem EXCEPT my external Seagate Goflex drive only works in USB3 when powered off and then restarted.  If just a Restart, the drive is not booted back up with the CPU unless I unplug the drive itself and reconnect.afterwards.

As with you, USB2 works fine, period.

If anyone has a solution, please inform.

No Events found!