Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 14th, 2016 08:00

Alienware X51 no display through onboard HDMI

I own an X51 with a PNY GTX 960 4GB edition. I salvaged the GPU from my X51 to put into a new computer I recently built. I tried to use the on board HDMI on my X51 to make it an internet box for the living room.

The onboard graphics will not display. Computer boots fine no beeps and I can hear the HDD.

I have tried a couple things as suggested by other forum posts:

1. I have set the BIOS to use IGFX.

2. I have tried disabling the 960 drivers.

No luck with either of those suggestions.

To reiterate: I have an x51 with NO GPU, and I want to use the onboard HDMI port. There is only a black screen.

Specs:

i7 3770, 8GB 1333hz RAM, 1TB HDD

BIOS version:

A07

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 14th, 2016 09:00

Hello,

What model of X51 is it? R1, R2 or R3?

If you set the primary display to Auto, does it have the same behavior?

Have you tried removing and reinstalling the Intel Graphics driver?

Also, it seems like your BIOS version is out of date.

Make sure to download both drivers from out support page.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

June 14th, 2016 09:00

To start, we need to which X51. There are three revisions of the X51. You mention bios A07 which would imply that this is the X51-R1 2012 system? But the R1 never sold with the GTX 960, so where is the original video card? What is the service tag number? I will remove it from public view once you post it. How are you seeing the bios to be sure that the Advanced- Integrated Devices- Primary Display is set to IGFX if nothing appears on the screen on bootup?

3 Posts

June 14th, 2016 12:00

Thank you both for the speedy response. It is the R1, originally it came with a GTX 660.  The 660 bricked after 2 years so I bought the 960.

The only way I can get any display is through the GPU, so to see the bios I have to put the GPU back in and everything works fine. So with the card installed, I went in to the bios and enabled IGFX saved and exited. I then removed the video card and plugged an hdmi cable into the onboard graphics port. Thats when I get no display. Once again no beeps and I can hear the HDD spinning and the led is blinking but no post or windows shell or anything.

My service code is .

Sometime this week I will update the bios and check the driver for the intel graphics.

Thank you again for your time.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 14th, 2016 16:00

Ok, great. Here is the link to our support site so you can download the drivers. You can also try downloading the graphics driver from Intel directly.

3 Posts

June 18th, 2016 23:00

Still no luck. My display drivers were up to date, and I updated my bios from A07 to A14.

I re enabled IGFX in the bios and tried the on board hdmi port, still no display. I tried it with the gpu installed and without. Even when it is set to IGFX it still only displays through the gpu.

It is also doing something even worse now, I can't even access the bios. Now it just goes straight to the windows logon screen. It doesn't show the the windows splash screen, or the bios loading screen where it says to hit F2. I can spam F2 and the computer just stays in a black screen, which I'm assuming is at the bios screen but there is no display.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 20th, 2016 09:00

Ok, you said the Intel driver was up to date, but did you try removing and reinstalling it? Because it could be that the driver is corrupt. You can try the steps below:

1. Uninstall NVIDIA graphics driver. You can use Revo uninstaller.
  2. Uninstall Intel graphics driver
  3. Reinstall Intel graphics driver from Dell’s support page.
  4. Reinstall NVIDIA graphics driver from their website.

If the issue remains, you can try the same process but try the driver directly from Intel.

No Events found!