Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 4th, 2015 15:00

Alienware X51 recovery partition drive letter issue

Hi guys, I seem to be having a bit of bother with my computer.All of a sudden my computer has randomly started switching drive letters with the recovery partition automatically being assigned a drive letter.It seems to override whatever I set my external hard drives to be and makes it very annoying to find my music and video librarys are now on drive G etc instead of drive E. If I go into the device management and set everything to the correct letters sometimes it sticks sometimes it doesn't.

The screenshot below shows the recovery partition with a drive letter X clearly visible in my computer but on the disk management and on the disk part tool it shows it hasn't even been given a drive letter.3618.Untitled.png

Has anyone encountered this issue before and could possily provide some assistance?

• 

2.7K Posts

March 5th, 2015 10:00

That's the expected behavior; the Recovery Partition will override the changes. You can create a recovery USB and delete the recovery partition, however this is not recommended because we believe that having the 2 would be ideal in case of a failure.

March 5th, 2015 11:00

Thanks for getting back to me. Ideally I'd rather keep the recovery partition I do have the DVD's also but better safe than sorry.

Since I've posted the intial message my drive letters haven't swapped round once. Typical.

No Events found!