Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 24th, 2013 23:00

Alienware X51 wifi drivers freezing pc

I've owned this thing for almost 1 yr and this is the first time I have come across a freezing problem. 1 day, I decided to upgrade all of my drivers off the dell support page and my pc hasn't been right ever since. My computer lags ever 2mins for about 1 min whenever I connect to a router via wifi. I spoke to a dell tech and was unsuccessful with solving the problem. I have all the correct drivers and just can't figure out why. The only its tops freezing is when I disconnect from wifi. I've went as far to even reformatting my hard drive more than twice and the problem still exist. Does anyone have any clue why this is happening or a way to solve this irritating problem? Help would be deeply appreciated at this point in time.

8 Posts

January 27th, 2013 18:00

@AndrewSi

I found a fix. Ur advice was close. i didnt work out all the way but pointed me in the right direction. Turning my power setting to performance did the trick and my computer no longer freezes or hangs when I use the Internet. I recommend that anyone having the same problem as is to just try changing ur power options to high performance and see if that works first. Thank you for the helpful idea AndrewSi. You actually helped me out man and I appreciate that. I still wouldn't had paid dell $100 dollars to fix this as they have called me after I posted this complaint. Trying and determination was all it took. I am good now brother. Again thx to u AndrewSi. My problem is now solved. Kudos and cheers.

5 Posts

April 17th, 2014 20:00

YESSS!!!! this fixed the problem. My pc was UNUSABLE! It took me around 10 minutes to click on the start button and go to control panel. I had enough of it and reset the pc. Started it in safe mode and switched it to power settings. No more annoying freezing hanging. Thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

January 25th, 2013 09:00

FreshyDeff,

What wifi card? What wifi driver is currently installed?

8 Posts

January 25th, 2013 17:00

I have the first top model x51 that was released. I installed the bottom two drivers in the network section as advised by the dell tech over the phone. Any time I open a web browser, new tab, visit a website or do anything dealing with gathering information from the web, I go into constant freezing as stated above. Any advice?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

January 26th, 2013 12:00

Via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation) send me the service tag number for the desktop computer so I can look up the hardware configuration.

8 Posts

January 26th, 2013 18:00

Charging me $100 to fix your garbage pc that I paid $1500 for. Should atleast be free because I haven't even had this pc for even a year. I can't believe this company. I felt betrayed and sick to my stomach because y'all already got my money and now charging me even more for its faulty equipment it shipped with. There are dozens of freezing complaints and the only thing I see out of this is take even more money from us when it's not even a tuff problem for you guys to solve. It is flat out bogus and I can't even explain the way I feel. People warned me and I should have listened. Why did I buy this thing. Nothing's worse than jipped, tricked, or like someone is getting over on u. So $1500 dollars is gone. What would y'all do if u were me in a similar situation. Sad thing is that It feels like y'all don't even care.

901 Posts

January 27th, 2013 01:00

Hiya Freshy - I think you havd a 1502 in your system, try one of these solutions and see if it fix's the problem.

1. Go to control panel, click view by: and change to small icons, find device manager and open that, find network adapters and open that, find your WiFi card there and open that, click on power management and open that, and UNCHECK "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power"

Try uninstalling the dell wifi driver and run a program like driver sweeper to make sure it's completely gone, then get a driver for your wifi directly from the intel site, they are MUCH more up-to-date

8 Posts

January 27th, 2013 17:00

@AndrewSi

I'm not quite sure where to go on the intel site because I think this is a dell product. I go to the drivers section and the I click on wireless then from there I'm just not sure where to go because the site starts asking for the product and the 1502 isn't on the list. I'm being a noob right now but I'm will to take any help u can give me because before u gave me that idea, I was thinking about buying some other wireless solution.

Oh and just another update a little off topic. My friend is having the same issue with his alienware x51. Odd thing is, he turned his wireless off and tried running his Internet via hard wire and the same problem still exist. There is an answer. I just haven't came across it yet.

8 Posts

January 27th, 2013 17:00

Appreciate the suggestion. I will give that a shot and see if that helps. I will post back with results.

2.4K Posts

January 27th, 2013 20:00

@AndrewSi

I found a fix. Ur advice was close. i didnt work out all the way but pointed me in the right direction. Turning my power setting to performance did the trick and my computer no longer freezes or hangs when I use the Internet. I recommend that anyone having the same problem as is to just try changing ur power options to high performance and see if that works first. Thank you for the helpful idea AndrewSi. You actually helped me out man and I appreciate that. I still wouldn't had paid dell $100 dollars to fix this as they have called me after I posted this complaint. Trying and determination was all it took. I am good now brother. Again thx to u AndrewSi. My problem is now solved. Kudos and cheers.

Hey FreshyDeff. Didn't it come with the standard 1 year warranty? Why would they try and charge you? Supposed to be in home service after remote diag yadda yadda for first year unless you extend it.

8 Posts

January 27th, 2013 21:00

I don't know why they tried to play me but it didn't go down the way they wanted it to. They tired to say I had hardware warranty but no software warranty something dumb like that. Who would buy software warranty when problems with software can be solved by either updating the program, reinstalling, surfing the web, and especially if really important, use a back up hard drive and reformat and fresh install (the ultimate fix all).  I've lost all respect for dell. They tried that and I don't appreciate it, they called me without even asking by thinking they could make some money off the complaint in my post. That's why I fixed it myself  and gave the tech $0 dollars because I am not mentally challenge or a target for the, to get over on. That would   anyone off to see some dell guy say for $100 he will fix ur pc. The gain remote access to ur computer and download some drivers or something small and say "ok, all done". First of all, situations like that are not even worth $100. Second of all, the work isn't either nor the time spent. That's why I solved the issue myself and put the answer out for free because that's not a $100 solution. I paid over $1200 when this thing came out and the computer isn't even all that and I won't spend a penny more. If this small situation would have been handled in a better way other than acting like money scammers who company is going out of business, then I would have had something positive to say. But it offends me and it should offend u if someone tried to get over on u and challenge ur intelligence. I'm through with this company because they are both, horrible and petty. I hope if anyone else plans on buying anything from this company, I hope they stumble across this post first and take it seriously. I haven't even had this thing 1 year and they this. Matter of they aren't even worth the amount of words I am posting but I am doing it for the sake of other so I will just end it like this. I am done with them and they have lost a customer.

Oh and p.s.

The tech guy said he would call me back on Monday cause he sounded real thirsty for some money's because this was a simple problem. Since he read my starting post I hope he reads this. Try me. Go ahead and call me and I promise the rest of ur day will be sour brother. Have a nice day.

2.4K Posts

January 28th, 2013 00:00

I don't know why they tried to play me but it didn't go down the way they wanted it to. They tired to say I had hardware warranty but no software warranty something dumb like that. Who would buy software warranty when problems with software can be solved by either updating the program, reinstalling, surfing the web, and especially if really important, use a back up hard drive and reformat and fresh install (the ultimate fix all).  I've lost all respect for dell and I can say that on their web site because I have freedom of speech. They tried that and I don't appreciate it, they called me without even asking by thinking they could make some money off the complaint in my post. That's why I fixed it myself  and gave the tech $0 dollars because I am not mentally challenge or a target for the, to get over on. That would anyone off to see some dell guy say for $100 he will fix ur pc. The gain remote access to ur computer and download some drivers or something small and say "ok, all done". First of all, situations like that are not even worth $100. Second of all, the work isn't either nor the time spent. That's why I solved the issue myself and put the answer out for free because that's not a $100 solution. I paid over $1200 when this thing came out and the computer isn't even all that and I won't spend a penny more. If this small situation would have been handled in a better way other than acting like money sucking scammers who company is going out of business, then I would have had something positive to say. But it offends me and it should offend u if someone tried to get over on u and challenge ur intelligence. I'm threw with this company because they are both, horrible and petty. I hope if anyone else plans on buying anything from this company, I hope they stumble across this post first and take it seriously. I haven't even had this thing 1 year and they this. Matter of they aren't even worth the amount of words I am posting but I am doing it for the sake of other so I will just end it like this. I am done with them and they have lost a customer.

Oh and p.s.

The tech guy said he would call me back on Monday cause he sounded real thirsty for some money's because this was a simple problem. Since he read my starting post I hope he reads this. Try me. Go ahead and call me and I promise the rest of ur day will be sour brother. Have a nice day.

It's true that software support is not part of the standard support but a WIFI card issue, whether or not it's the software for it should still be covered. I know it is.
You did right

No Events found!