Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 17th, 2013 08:00

Alienware X51 will not start.

Service tag <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

Weird. When I plug in the power cord (power adapter checked and working) - the computer starts momentarily, lights on, fan on - and then shuts down immediately (in left than 1 sec), starts again, shuts down, etc. etc.

August 6th, 2013 02:00

the motherboard was fried. new one was installed by dell service. end of story.

3.3K Posts

July 17th, 2013 09:00

Hi mpedinburgh,

Check if the computer stays stable in BIOS. Restart the computer and tap F2 at Alienware logo. Check if the computer is stable in BIOS.

You may also check the status in Safemode with networking. Restart the computer and tap F8 at Alienware logo. Select Safemode with networking and check the status.

Also, run diagnostics on the computer: http://dell.to/17lIgpm

Awaiting your response!

July 17th, 2013 09:00

and how exactly am I supposed to do all that when my computer turns on for about half a second and then SHUTS DOWN?

BTW. "left than a second" was a typo, it should be "less than..."

• 

2.7K Posts

July 17th, 2013 14:00

Hello!

This two articles will help you to check if all the fans are working properly, there is a possibility that the system might be overheating. 

article 1

article 2 

1.2K Posts

my best guess would be to try and reset cmos,  by removing cmos battery and power dissipation, but I  cant find the info atm for that for that system, prolly looking right at it too lol ....

as for the power on instantly that's a bios setting (resume after power loss) to reboot machine once power is restored.

not sure what  its called on that system tho  in bios ...

the computer never has a chance to overheat or run any application. it doesn't work longer than a second.

another thing: it starts (or I should say "wants to start") RIGHT AFTER I plug-in the power cable - I do not even touch the power button.

July 18th, 2013 13:00

I did the cmos reset, it did not help :(

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 18th, 2013 13:00

Weird. When I plug in the power cord (power adapter checked and working) - the computer starts momentarily, lights on, fan on - and then shuts down immediately (in left than 1 sec), starts again, shuts down, etc. etc.

1. Are you under warranty?

2. What wattage model is it, and how exactly was power adapter checked?

July 19th, 2013 02:00

2. J938H 240w AC Adapter, 3-Pin, Flextronics

It works with another computer I own, also X51.

1. Yes and no.

It is covered by the US warranty, but I'm currently working on a contract job in UK, and shipped some of my gear here.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 19th, 2013 12:00

Did both machines come with 240w adapters? If so, you are able to test that it's NOT the adapter. If not, I'm not sure the 240w and 330w (or larger one) are interchangeable (there is also a Power Board inside).

If not the Adapter, I would try Power Board next. Then the video card, then the motherboard.

If you have two identical machines, it should be pretty easy for you (or computer tech) to determine which part is bad (see where problem follows which part).

No Events found!