Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 21st, 2015 16:00

Alienware laptop mini displayport mDP doesn't work

I have an Alienware 17. For the past several months, I've been trying to use an external monitor connected through the mDP (mini displayport). I've now tried with 4 different monitors and just as many mDP cables. Both mDP to VGA and mDP to DVI. Nothing. All the monitors and mDP cables work fine with another other computer I've tested on. I have 20 years experience in IT support and have never seen a more difficult external monitor issue than this. Typically it's always plug-n-play, it's almost a no-brainer. Why doesn't the mDP on Alienware laptops not work? What am I missing?

118 Posts

June 22nd, 2015 15:00

I went through the same frustration you are now experiencing.  I solved it by uninstalling the Dell version of the Intel graphics driver.  When you reboot, it will install the latest version from Microsoft and you should be golden!  Ironically, you can't install the latest version direct from Intel as it will detect an OEM application and quit the installer.  Also, you can't get it to install the latest version using the Device Manger, either.

2 Posts

June 23rd, 2015 16:00

Soooo close! When I uninstalled the Intel driver, the desktop appeared on my external for about 10 seconds. It was euphoric, but short lived. It went black and didn't come back. I rebooted and Windows installed the standard VGA adapter. It wasn't showing on the external at this point. I ran Windows update and installed the Intel driver for it, rebooted. Once it was back up, rather than uninstalling the Intel driver I simply disabled it. Again the external came to life for about 10 seconds as the laptop screen went black. Then both were black. I'm still messing with it... but haven't got the external to stay up for more than 5-10 seconds. That's closer than I've been though! I appreciate the help! Cool name btw!

No Events found!