Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 6th, 2016 15:00

Alienware m14x Hard Drive issues?

I've had my laptop for a really long time, can't afford to get a new one yet so I was hoping someone could help me fix some issues I'm having with this one. Recently I've been having problems with just about everything. Random program crashes, system freezes up, programs won't open up. When I run the alienware overall scan there are certain tests that can't be run for some reason. Twice I've received blue screens that said something about the hard disk so I'm fairly certain that's the issue. Is there anything I can do to fix this or should I look into buying a new hard drive? I bought this computer about 4-5 years ago so there is no warranty in play.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

April 6th, 2016 16:00

Hello,

Try running an ePSA/Diagnostic test on the system to check the Hard Drive, click here to view a Dell article that explains how to run this test. Let us know if you receive any errors. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 7th, 2016 18:00

If you plan on fixing the laptop and using it a bit longer, I doubt you want another conventional spinning hard-drive. You likely want a Solid-State-Drive (SSD). After you clean-install Windows-7/64bit fresh, re-load required drivers, re-install your programs, and re-integrate your data files ...

It will be faster than when it was brand new.

No Events found!