Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 10th, 2013 16:00

Alienware m14x Seven Beeps (With a twist)

I bought my m14x laptop in the summer of 2011. I've since been having problems with the seven beeps issue, which I know is most likely motherboard related, but my issues seem to be a bit different than most, so hopefully there's a different/cheaper solution (as a college student, I don't exactly have money back up for a $500 motherboard + installment). Here's a quick timeline of what's been happening:

1. In fall of 2012, my brother accidentally spilled liquid onto the keyboard of my laptop. Shortly after this (maybe a couple weeks) I first started experiencing the 7 beeps. Like others, my laptop wouldn't boot at first, but by shutting it down, and restarting, it would eventually boot.

2. The 7 beeps started again around Christmas 2012, but only lasted a day.

3.  Most recently, the beeps have been happening for the past 3 days. Every time the computer sleeps, it goes into 7 beeps mode. It could be entirely unrelated, but it seems to boot most regularly when I unplug and plug the power cable back in. 

I have noticed that every time the computer decides to boot, I hear a noise coming from inside the laptop somewhere below the directional keys. Hopefully all of this is info to maybe diagnose anything. Thanks!

835 Posts

April 16th, 2013 11:00

Run the latest BIOS update, the following link will direct you to the download:

M14 r1 A08 BIOS

835 Posts

April 10th, 2013 17:00

Hi BootsElectric,

7 beeps indicate CPU failure: Alienware Beep Codes Table  

Open the bottom cover and locate the graphics card fan, clean it with compressed air to check if the noise is coming from there.

April 14th, 2013 00:00

Thanks for the response, but the sound is actually just a boot up sound. I've always gotten it, ever since I've had the computer. If this helps diagnose anything, I've also been getting a message saying "signal cable disconnect" upon attempt to boot-up.

835 Posts

April 15th, 2013 17:00

Run an ePSA test, and let me know if any errors come up. In the mean time, I'll look into the signal cable issue.

April 15th, 2013 20:00

I was given Error Code 2000-0221

If this helps at all, AlienRespawn has also been crashing on bootup, but this happened after the system started having problems booting.

April 16th, 2013 14:00

It looks like that did the trick! Thank you so much!! I will post again if it doesn't work in the long run, but everything seems to be in tip-top shape!

835 Posts

April 17th, 2013 13:00

Great! :)

April 21st, 2013 04:00

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm back to square 1 :/ the issues have come back, and things don't really seem to have changed. A couple extra things I've noted though, when I try starting it at first, the keyboard lights a a shade of red, and the longer I let it run, the more it changes from red to white (my default color). When I leave the computer for long enough (as it continues beeping), I eventually hear a startup noise, and my computer boots up.

835 Posts

April 25th, 2013 15:00

This sounds like it might be a hardware issue, and probably the motherboard needs to be replaced, does your system have warranty still?

No Events found!