Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2012 10:00

Alienware m14x w/ SSD making faint beeping noises

Hi everybody!

I know I'm getting pretty perfectionist on this, but theres someting about my m14x that is bothering me.

Until recently i sometimes put me ear right down to the machine, just to enjoy it being completely silent (when not under any significant load ofcause).

Since I have it with an SSD it actually didn't make any hearable sound whatsoever. However, now it has started to make just very faint like beeping and buzzing noises which comes and goes constantly. They are very faint, and even a regular HDD would have probably covered the sound of it. However, after enjoying the first weeks with my laptop in total silence, this does seem a bit wrong. The noise sounds as though its coming from just beneath the touchpad, but otherwise i don't really know how to explain it.

Does anyone care to take a guess at what be making these sounds? It doesn't really sound right to me.

Hope someone can help!

- Kim

November 14th, 2012 14:00

Hello, I could be just electric current going trough or fans spinning, beneath the touch-pad you can find the Wireless Card and the Optical Drive.

16 Posts

November 14th, 2012 15:00

No there is definitely an issue I have the same problem too!  Please see my post here:

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19476071/20228923.aspx#20228923

November 14th, 2012 15:00

Let me come back to you both tomorrow, so I have a chance to grab an M14x and test, thank you

5 Posts

November 15th, 2012 03:00

Thank you for your answer!

I'm very certain it is not just the fans spinning. Doesn't sound like that at all. But it could perhaps be electric current, though i wouldn't imagine current strong enough to make these sound would go through a laptop. Also, it wasn't there from the beginning. Could it electric current? and if so, is this normal?

16 Posts

November 15th, 2012 04:00

No its not the fans spinning at all, it would not be electric current, if it was electrical making a noise that loud I would not be wanting to touch the laptop.

If it was electrical current it would be a much higher pitch and would be constant or making a whining sort of noise.

The noise is clearly coming from the optical drive in my opinion, if you put your ear directly above the optical drive space over the keyboard and listen you will hear it.  I do agree when sitting upright away from the laptop it sounds like a faint beep but closer it sounds more mechanical.

In regards to your question as to whether the noise is normal, I would say a definite no - the optical drive should not make that noise every 60 seconds.  When it is charging the noise does not happen which also further makes me believe it is not electrically related and makes me believe it may be a driver/software problem.

I am 100% sure it is the optical drive making the noise and not an electrical current.

5 Posts

November 15th, 2012 11:00

Thank you all for your inputs.

I just tried opening up the laptop and completely unpluging the optical drive. Unfortunatly, the noise is still there, so it's the optical drive in my case at least. However, I also don't believe mine sounds that mechanical. More like a whining or trembling sound.

I was that at the very front of the machine sits a small speaker which i assume is for system/BIOS sounds. Could this be making noise for some reason perhaps?

November 15th, 2012 14:00

Either the front speakers or the bios speaker could be the problem, maybe you could both email us with a detailed description at awsocialmedia@dell.com also include your service tag and contact info. Once solved I'll appreciate if you could come back here and post the outcome. Thank you

16 Posts

November 15th, 2012 14:00

It appears Kimboo's issue is separate as he has had to open his laptop to find the source of his issue, I have not had to do that as I know what is making the sound without opening the case and is not a speaker or bios problem.  

I will leave this thread for you to continue helping Kimboo.

In my other post I have provided a detailed description and someone else has already replied stating they are having the same issue with noise coming from the optical drive.

I hope someone from Dell will be able to look into my other post:

en.community.dell.com/.../20230111.aspx

Good luck Kimboo I hope you are able to get some assistance for your issue.

No Events found!