Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 25th, 2013 07:00

Alienware m17x R4 cannot detect my AMD Radeon HD 7970M

Hi, 

first of all here are my specs which I bought last year (sorry the words will be in german)

Operating system: Windows 7 Home premium 64bit German

RAM: 16GB (2x8 GB), 1.600 MHz Dual-Channel-Speicher

Graphic card: AMD Radeon HD 7970M Grafikkarte mit 2 GB GDDR5
                          Intel HD Graphics 4000

disk: 500 GB Serial ATA Festplatte (7.200/1min)

Processor: Intel Core i7-3610QM (6MB Cache, up to 3.3GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0)

Now to my problem,

Sometimes when I was playing a game and having for example a website open at the same time, the screen suddenly flashed and a windows message appeared saying "driver has stopped responding and has recovered" and had to restart what ever program i was running. This did not happen a lot. Yesterday the same thing happened but for the first time, the screen turned black yet the laptop was still running, i was forced to turn it off, and so i did. Once i turned it back on, my resolution was set to 800x600 and so i set it back to 1600x900 and went on to the Device Manager to see that there was no option which i used to have, "Display adapter", not even my default Intel HD Graphics 4000. At the same time, a new device was being installed and it turned out to be this Intel HD Graphic yet my AMD graphic still did not appear. I tried reinstalling the whole ATI program, and in the end of the installation is said "Installation complete (warnings occured during installation) View logs for information". When I opened the logs there were no problems under "problems" and everything that appeared on it seemed to have installed successfully.

I'd be grateful if you could help me. Thank you

August 28th, 2013 14:00

Williamware, I would recommend you to reinstall both the integrated video card driver and the discrete one. Here you can find a complete guide on how to do it as well as the download links for the drivers.

2 Posts

December 27th, 2013 15:00

Hello,

i have the same problem with my Alienware M17XR4. I was playing some games today and suddenly my screen got all black. When i restarted my computer the AMD Radeon 7970M was missing in the device menager list. I`ve done all the things you posted and there is no change. Are there any other options to make this graphic card works or is it dead and i need to replace it ?

901 Posts

December 27th, 2013 19:00

Hello, you mention this laptop is almost 12 months old.

Have you cleaned the GPU fans and heat sink fins?

It may be a good idea to download a program to check your GPU temps - GPU-Z or MSI Afterburner will do the job.

If the temps are OK then you can play around with the settings to make the AMD GPU the primary graphics card (If you have not already)

I don't have a M17xR4 with a AMD card to confirm this but try looking in device manager, if there are two GPU's displayed (AMD 7970 and Intel HD4000) then try rebooting and going into the system BIOS, scroll through until you find an option to select with GPU is primary, make sure it is set to discrete.

Reboot and see if that helps - but check your GPU temp first

2 Posts

December 28th, 2013 04:00

Hello,

I dont have problem with overheating. From yesterday my computer can`t see the second card in the device menager list. There is olny Intel HD4000 in the graphic card section. When i started my Alienware today in the mornig system found the AMD 7970 card and install the drivers, but after installing the drivers update and Catalyst Cotrol Center and rebooting the BSOD error appears. After rebooting the card was missing again.

3 Posts

January 12th, 2015 15:00

Hi Dani, 

I have a m17x r4 with amd hd 7970m video card bought in later 2012 (service tag 1q86fv1). Right now, the laptop keeps giving me black screen after installing driver for that video card, intel 4000 on my laptop is working just fine. The dell pre boot diagnostics did not find any problem though, but I have tried many drivers, and many systems, all worked out the same.  

I assume it is a video card failure case, am I right? 

If it is dead, I am thinking if I could buy another video card to put it on, like a nvidia 970m (www.ebay.com/.../301426690365). 

Do you think it is worth it or possible? Please let me know at your convenience. 

Thank you very much for your knowledge and help!

Weiming Hu 

February 27th, 2015 01:00

Yes it's quite possible, although I'd suggest svl7's unlocked BIOS if you're not already running it, so you'll have the option to select PEG (discrete) instead of SG (switchable) for primary graphics.  As for worth it, I'd say so.  I'd love nothing more than the 980m in mine if I could afford it!!

901 Posts

March 2nd, 2015 09:00

1 Message

October 2nd, 2015 12:00

yo i had the same problem that the AMD couldn't be detected here is how i solved it:

1) turn off computer

2) unplug everything to it AC, flash drives, usb cords and such

3) open the back of the computer

4) unplug / take out the battery

5) wait about 10 secs

6) plug it back in and close back up the computer

7)boot up ur computer

8) the AMD has been detected ~yay

if u skipped the tutorial just unplug ur battery for 10 secs and plug it back in and ta-da u're done this was a reset i learned somewhere it works fine i done it 2 times

No Events found!