Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

July 31st, 2013 11:00

Alienware r4 restarting its shortly after sleep or hibernate

So as state recently my desktop started started restarting itself soon after awakening from sleep mode or hibernate. Usually after I start play games like world of Warcraft I've run virus scans and the inboard Alienware autopsy diagnostic program and found nothing wrong any idea would be great.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

July 31st, 2013 11:00

Hi shadowcld36,

Try running the on-board hardware diagnostics to check the hardware functionality. Power off the computer -> restart the computer, press 'F12' key on the Dell logo -> Select ‘Diagnostics’ from the boot menu.

Please share the findings.

20 Posts

July 31st, 2013 14:00

Kk so when I press f12 there was nothing that just said diagnostic but I ran the ePSA per-boot system assessment  and so no problems found I just told it to run the remaining memory tests which should take another 30 min

20 Posts

July 31st, 2013 18:00

So finished advanced diagnostic still no problems detected not sure wat to try next

180 Posts

July 31st, 2013 21:00

what is your power scheme set to? If it is set to high perfromance, try to set it to balanced and see what happens. Make sure to hit "apply" after changing it. I think that is what I did on my R3 that was waking up before I wanted it to. Just an idea and it won't hurt anything performance wise.

20 Posts

August 1st, 2013 11:00

Well tried changing power settings that doesn't help it still restarts itself after coming out of sleep mode soon after I start playing a game on the system. But after restarting it doesn't have another problem running games. Only after comin out of sleep or hibernate modes

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

August 1st, 2013 11:00

Hi shadowcld36,

Try updating the video drivers and BIOS of the computer. Click on the link http://dell.to/13hdFWa -> type the service tag of the computer -> expand BIOS to download and install the latest version, expand Video to download and install the video drivers.

20 Posts

August 2nd, 2013 07:00

Alright so updates bios and drivers and its a little better in that it didn't restart the computer. But I got a message while playing the display driver has stopped working and I went away before I could read it fully something about a kernel

20 Posts

August 2nd, 2013 10:00

kk new update blue screen and its apparently caused by "Nvidia Geforce GTX 590 driver (c:/windows/system32/drivers/nvlddmkm.sys). i just updates my video drivers last night so trying to install drivers again but any info on what else to do?

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

August 2nd, 2013 16:00

Hi shadowcld36,

This might be a possible video driver issue. I would suggest a clean re-installation of the video drivers. That is, uninstalling and re-installing the video drivers. Here are the steps:

• Open Device Manager (Start -- Control Panel -- Device Manager).
  • Expand the tab for Display Adapters and right click the video card.
  • From the drop down menu, select “Uninstall”.
  • Ensure to check the box “Delete driver software for this device”.
  • Restart the computer.
  • Then check for the video drivers in Control Panel -> Add or Remove programs, uninstall the driver.
  • Once the drivers are uninstalled, re-install the latest drivers.
  • Restart the computer and check the functionality.

Please reply with the findings.

20 Posts

August 13th, 2013 16:00

alright so after reinstalling the drivers everything was fine for about a week then its started doing the same thing again

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

August 14th, 2013 18:00

Hi shadowcld36,

Please check if the system is overheating. 

I would recommend you to clean the air vents of the computer. Below are the steps to clean the air vents:

• Check the vents on the computer to see if they are covered with dust and not allowing heat and air to pass through.
  • Turn off the System.
  • Unplug the power cable from the back of the system.
  • Use Compressed Air to blow the dust out of the vents.

Note: Please use compressed air can. When using compressed air can, use the can according to the directions on the side of the can as you can cause damage to the computer if used incorrectly.

No Events found!