Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

April 4th, 2017 16:00

Alienware runs Unturned 15FPS?

So I just bought an Alienware laptop off some guy on craigslist. Its an Alienware 13 i5 5200U, GTX 960m, 16GB ram, and 500GB HDD, I know about nothing about computers but he had reset the laptop and I got it, downloaded a free game (unturned) just to test it out and it ran about 4 FPS, so I told my brother which is somewhat knowledgeable and he said that the drivers need to be reinstalled. So he did that and it helped quite a bit, Unturned now runs at about 30fps in singleplayer, 18fps multiplayer around people. I'm wondering if this is right or if there is something else that needs to be done because if thats all it cna handle then I will be selling it. Thanks!

April 5th, 2017 01:00

you're probably playing the game with the wrong Graphics Card.
rightclick on the desktop icon of the game and choose Processor -> NVIDIA.

the GTX 960M and i5 Processor @ 2,7 GHz should be able to run this game with no issues.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

April 5th, 2017 08:00

Hi cdavis003‌,

Try to configure Nvidia optimus for high performance, you can follow the intructions on the link below. After doing this, test the games again to confirm if they run with higher FPS. 

Configuring NVIDIA Optimus and AMD Switchable Graphics for High Performance on your Alienware System | Dell US 

April 5th, 2017 10:00

Thanks Rodrigo. I'm Gonna Bookmark the Link for Future Reference.

4 Posts

April 7th, 2017 16:00

Well I did this and I get 30fps on unturned on recommended settings on single player and 15fps online still, any other suggestions? Very annoying haha still havent been able to figure this out.

April 7th, 2017 18:00

it could be an issue do to overheating. is your machine hot and loud?

download and run HWMonitor during gaming. then post a screenshot here. we need more info and that would be a good start.

4 Posts

April 8th, 2017 11:00

I highly doubt its overheating just because of the fact that its never felt hot at all and the fans are barely noticeable. But I haven't used the computer for gaming long enough in a session to really notice because I cant stand the low fps.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

In addition to telling the game to use Nvidia GPU exclusively, do you also have laptop set to use High Performance Windows Power Profile and you are using AC-Adapter?

I don't own the game or know how graphically intensive it is. Maybe that's all the FPS your little laptop can handle? Have you tried switching in-game graphics from Ultra-Max down to Medium? Does your FPS improve?

4 Posts

I tried running almost all the game graphics at low and I'm now getting 45 fps in single player and 30 fps online, still very disappointing, I am using an AC-Adapter but I'm not sure about the High Performance Windows Power Profile, I can try that now.

April 8th, 2017 13:00

i checked out the game before replying for the first time. the game should run on a toaster. it requires 2.0 GHz CPU and 4 GB RAM i think. the GPU wasn't even mentioned as far as i remember. which usually means you don't need any highend GPU.

did you download HWMonitor?

15 Posts

April 26th, 2017 07:00

try updating your card driver from nvidia geforce experience 

No Events found!